the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:46 pm 

I've set my ports from 6881-6881 in port range and enabled 6881 in XP firewall and my question is will using only a single port limit me in anyway from downloading or uploading, eg not being able to connect to others or them not connecting to me?Should I have more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:15 pm 

BitTorrent/BitTornado opens one listening port per instance. So for each torrent you have simultaneously downloading, you'll need one port to allow other peers to connect to you. If you only ever have one torrent going, having only one port is all you need (6881). If you only ever plan to have 3 downloads going, having 3 ports (such as 6881-6883) is all you need. A range of "6881-6881" (1 port) previously posted by me is to help troubleshoot if your forwarding rules are even working.

Post subject: too lazy to log in, lol
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:51 pm 
Quote:
A range of "6881-6881" (1 port) previously posted by me is to help troubleshoot if your forwarding rules are even working

You have a toruble shooting guide or something?heh, I did all of that on my own trying to get better speeds, and it seems to be working, however when I expanded my open ports to 6881-6882 and changed the settings likewise in the client it seemed to almost triple my speed from 60kbps to 180-200 on average, mind you it may have been completely unrelated seeing as how downloads speed up over time right?

Anywho thx for the reply anyways, if I have any more questions i'll be sure to ask :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:56 pm 

I am pretty sure opening more than one port for only a single download did nothing to affect your speed over having just one port open. You most likely got connected with different peers and seeds when you reopened BitTornado and those peers just so happened to be faster.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]