the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:37 am 

I will try to provide the best info I can.

I have multiple machines (2 ethernet and 1 wireless) running Windows XP, using a DI-624 (rev C) D-Link router and a Surfboard modem to connect to the internet.

The computers (I will call them PC1 [main] and PC2 [secondary] - both ethernet) can both run a game such as World Of Warcraft, but this is Internet based. I wish to run a LAN only based mode for a few games.

I have tried a few games, but the main game I will reference here is Rise Of Nations Thrones and Patriots (both have separate serial numbers) [I will call this RON-TAP].

Believe me I have tried heaps of shit, which you will see below, but I got frustrated and went to my neighbour and borrowed their LAPTOP (which I will call PC3). This is a new ACER with wireless connection. I set it up to run on my network (simple 128bit encryption), installed the RON-TAP game (from PC2) on it, and we could play Lan Games instantly. I have since deleted it as it was only for a test and we really wanna play on the 2 good PC's (the ethernet ones).

On PC1, when inside RON-TAP, my IP is listed as 111.111.111.111,192.168.0.10 (the first part 111.111.111.111 is my ISP's address, it's not really all ones tho).

On PC2, when inside RON-TAP, my IP is listed as 192.168.0.11. No mention of the ISP. I cannot see how to make it list as that either.

I do not use DMZ on the router.

I have made both PC1 and PC2 pick up their IP addresses from the router (using the MAC address), so that they are static.

I have tried putting in ports 31120, 34987, 16787, and 6112 (as described in the games manual) in the virtual server list, but I can only open them up for 1 computer at a time, so I was told. Besides I think that only effects internet games?? may be wrong.

I have tried, under the Firewall Rules List of my router, sending these ports (coming from WAN or LAN - neither worked) and going to destination PC1 or PC2 (neither worked).

I do not have any filters or parental blocks on that I can see in the router settings.

I have not tried APPLICATIONS LIST. Not sure about this area.

I have disabled Windows XP firewall on both computers.

PC1 only has a HP tray icon, and quicktime, besides my sound and the network icons.

PC2 has quicktime, sound, and network status tray icons.

Nothing in either MSConfig to suggest other programs running on either PC.

Both computers use FIREFOX for web browsing and do not show any proxy being used.

I can transfer files from PC1 to PC2 and vice versa. I can ping PC2 from PC1 and vice versa.

I tried setting PC2 to use the DNS info of my ISP rather than my router, but I fear I may have done that wrong, and in the end not sure exactly what to do, so I undone it. I saw no effects to the system either way.

I truely am at a point where I believe it has something to do with PC1 carrying the ISP address as a part of the IP address, where as PC2 does not do this. I have no idea how to make it do so. I may be way off tho.

Any help appreciated.

Post subject: Damm Zone Alarm
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:28 pm 

I found out that there was some old Zone Alarm files sitting in the Windows Directories for PC2.

Deleted them and it all works.

Bloody firewalls. Disable em, uninstall em, and they still hang around.

Oh well, gone now.

Cheers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]