the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 pm 

Hello everyone, let me first explain my setup.

I'm using a D-Link DI-604 router connected to a cable modem. My main PC has a static address 192.168.0.100 (the others are assigned through DHCP). I'm using UPnP for all my torrent connections.

The problem seems to be with the fact that I have a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector (so my Wii has an internet connection). This sets up a second IP on my PC, so ipconfig /all shows 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.1.1. I looked in the DI-604 config on the page Advanced->Firewall while running a torrent and I noticed that the UPnP permissions are setup with the address 192.168.1.1. When the Wi-Fi connector is not plugged in, the UPnP is setup with 192.168.0.100. The end result is that I have a yellow light when my Wi-Fi connector is plugged in, and a green light (and better speed) otherwise.

I have found no way to properly setup UPnP other than unplugging my Wi-Fi adapter before starting any torrent. Is there any way to force those connections to be setup with my LAN IP instead of the Wi-Fi IP? Kind regards,

Pascal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:21 pm 

1. Try UPnP mode 2 in Prefs.
2. Consider buying a wifi router and having the Wii connect to it rather than to your PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:33 pm 

Thanks for your reply.

1. Sorry, forgot to mention that I was using UPnP mode 2 to get those results with the adapter plugged in. When I use mode 1, forwarding fails completely (I get "listening on port x" in bittornado). Without the adapter plugged in, mode 1 and mode 2 both work correctly.
2. I actually considered that early on, but right now this would be a last resort, if I ever get too annoyed with this problem.

Any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:09 am 

Umm... Enabling Windows' UPnP server and switching to Mode 1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:28 am 

Oh, and you can always manually forward a block of ports in your router and then configure BitTornado to use those ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:25 pm 

What do you mean by "enabling the windows UPnP server"? AFAIK, the UPnP service is enabled and functions properly, at least when I have only 1 IP address. I'm not aware of other programs or settings.

I was hoping for some kind of registry tweak or hack so that my real IP address is used instead of the Wi-Fi one when doing UPnP forwarding. That might just be me being stingy, but I don't want to switch from UPnP to regular forwarding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:38 pm 

http://www.grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

(MS disabled the UPnP server by default in a patch, this lets you re-enable it. Perfectly safe if you're behind a router.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:08 pm 

Ah yes, Unplug n' Pray. I used that program in the past (on other Windows installations) as part of my paranoia security. The program currently shows that my UPnP service is enabled.

I noticed another detail today. I use Serv-U 6.3.0.0 which forwards 3 ports through UPnP. Looking at my router config, these ports are routed properly (.0.100) and I can use all the features of my ftp server when logging in remotely. The Serv-U admin program also shows both of my IP addresses, listing .1.1 first then .0.100, but still somehow forwards using the .0.100 address. This might have something to do with my router's IP address (.0.1)?

This leads me to believe I am experiencing a bug in bittornado. Anything you can do about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:55 am 

Not without someone sending me a Nintendo wifi adapter. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:19 am 

i just checked my wii, under internet settings theres a nintendo usb thingie option, it says i need to install the software then put it in my wii, so it can connect,

however i dont know how the ds works, and the ds is my biggest consern

edit: a website says that i install software with a disk you get, and then put the adapter into the pc, i also remember that my friend has one, and when i was there he had it in his wii,
all the sources say it goes in the pc EXCEPT NINTENDO madness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:11 am 

I forgot I had this post hanging around on the forums. :P
I fixed my problem a while ago by doing this:

Start->Network Connections (might be in control panel)
Advanced menu->Advanced Settings...
In the first list, I set my wired internet connection in the first slot. Before I did this, my Nintendo Wi-Fi connection was first in the list and was getting chosen by default. Simply setting my wired connection to have priority fixed my problem once and for all.

I hope this can help someone else. :)

And btw, Kavkazzz, the edit you made is correct, you install a software and plug the adapter into your PC, then you can connect to it with both Wii and DS by choosing the Wi-Fi USB option.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]