the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:38 am 
ok... i use Sygate Personal Firewall Pro on xp and am having some trouble opening ports... can anybody explain to me in 'step by step'. thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:06 am 
http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents ... FPro55.htm

In the left panel go to Protecting Your System, then Setting Up Protection Based on Application. In the right panel you will see "How to Set Permissions by Application" and "Advanced Application Configuration".

You should already have an entry for Bittornado in the Applications window. So choose it, then click on Advanced.
  • Leave the "The Trusted IPs" box empty
  • Check "Act as Client" and "Act as Server"
  • Leave all "Remoter Server Ports" and "Local Ports" fields empty
  • Check "Allow during Screensaver Mode" if you have one
  • I think ICMP traffic is not necessary, so you can uncheck it
  • Uncheck "Enable Scheduling"
This allows Bittornado to initiate and accept connections, but will give you not the highest security. To improve your settings, you can set specific ports in the "Remote Server Ports" fields, but unfortunately you can not specify if you want only TCP or UDP communication at this page. So you have different choices now:
  1. Specify the ports at this page and create an advance rule to allow only TCP communications or
  2. Create an advanced rule which specifies the ports and the type.
To specify the ports on this page:
  • Enter 6881-6899 in the TCP field under "Remote Server Ports"
  • Enter the same in the UDP field. UDP is not used by Bittornado, but if you leave it blank, the firewall will allow all UDP ports
If you want to setup a advanced rule, read the topic Configuring Advanced Rules for Security on the above Sygate site and post if you have questions.

Note, that you only have to open as much ports as you want to run instances of Bittornado simultanously. Also check the preferences in Bittornado, so the port settings match with your firewall rules.

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:20 pm 
thanks!
great help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:29 am 
Hi, I tried what you said exactly, but now every torrent just gives me an error saying that it cant connect to the tracker.

Any ideas?

BTW, Im using the standard (not PRO) version of Sygate Personal Firewall if that makes any difference...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:43 pm 
Oops, I mixed up remote and local ports :oops: :oops: :oops:
Enter the ports in the "Local Ports" field, that are the listening ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:07 am 
what if bittornado isnt on the apps window

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:26 am 
The first time bittornado tries to access the net, sygate will ask you to allow/deny or set a specific rule, afterwards you will have an entry for bittornado (btdownloadgui.exe) on the application list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:19 am 
I did what you said(I think) but I am still getting a yellow light in all my torrents. Do I have the firewall configured correctly? http://server6.uploadit.org/files/duffmeister-firewall.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:53 am 
Yes, it's correct. You can check it with the torrent posted here: http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=1457.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:14 am 
Apparantly I'm firewalled/NAT'ed. Should I try a different port range? Any port range?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:35 am 
You can try it, e.g. 16881-16899. Also check that bittornado uses the same ports you have opened in your firewall. If you don't specify any ports in sygate, all ports are allowed for the application the rule applies to.

Do you have any other firewall (winXP) or router?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:32 pm 
I'm pretty sure I don't(don't have XP anyway). Changing the ports doesn't work. Even turning off the firewall doesn't fix it, the test torrent still says that I'm firewalled/NAT'd. I don't even know what NAT'd is >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:27 am 
If it still doesn't work when you disable the firewall, you or your ISP is most likely using a router/proxy (or blocks all incoming traffic).

Compare the IP from the http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl page and your IP when you do Start->Run..>enter "winipcfg" (for win98/Me).

NAT means Network Address Translation. There are private IPs (LAN) and public IPs (Internet) and a NAT translates between these two types of addresses, so a LAN can have access to the Internet. Because a NAT is also a security unit, access from the Internet to the LAN is not allowed per default, you have to allow it with specific port forwarding or DMZ setups. (This is typical for routers. NATs can also translate between different LANs).

If you get the error message "firewalles/NAT'd", the communication on the given IP/port has been blocked or the IP does not belong to you at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:46 am 
I was different. So should I enter my real IP address into BT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:00 am 
Yes, try it and run the test again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next