the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:48 am 
I understand how to port forward with it, but I have no idea how this static IP thing works. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:51 am 
Oh, and it's a Wireless G broadband if that matters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:25 am 
Most of the routers have DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) enabled per default. That means, that if a computer is connected to the router, the router will assign an IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS entries automatically to that computer.
The problem is, if you are using port forwarding you have to specify the IP where you want to forward the ports. But this also means, if this IP changes the port forwarding will not work anymore, so you have to ensure that the IP does not change, therefore you apply a static IP.
The static IP is applied on the computer that runs bittornado: Go to the windows control panel, then open network connections. Choose the adapter you want assign a static IP and double click it. Then scroll down to "TCP/IP" and double click it. Now select "use the following IP address". Enter an IP address, your router uses 192.168.1.1 per default, so choose something between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254. The Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0, the Gateway is the router IP (192.168.1.1). Next select "Use the following DNS Server Addresses" and enter the router IP (192.168.1.1) as "preferred DNS server". Click OK, done.
Note, that it may be neccesary to disable DHCP in the router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:35 am 

Yup. I recommend using a range between 20 and 99 or 200-250; 100-199 is typically what routers use for their DHCP pool, and this will let you run machines with both static and dynamic IPs without chancing an overlap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:22 pm 
I just did the thing in TCP/IP and iam still getting yellow ... I tried conntecting to my router and enetering the Port Forwaring IPs.. but still nada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:48 pm 
this is guest²

do you have to set up a static ip to have port forwarding for this router?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:15 am 
punisher wrote:
...if this IP changes the port forwarding will not work anymore, so you have to ensure that the IP does not change...

If your router always assigns your computer the same LAN IP after reboots, resets etc - then it's a no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:24 am 
i hate wireless internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:53 am 
Does it matter if my router is acting as a gateway?

Cause when I switch it to Router mode it can't use the net

By the way I know close to nothing about these things.

The last time I messed with the configurations I spent about 2 days trying to figure out what I did :(

Post subject: Getting Linksys To Work
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:27 am 
To get the Linksys to work all you should need to do is this:

1. Configure it so that it connects to the internet

2. goto your PC and configure a static IP address (in the same subnet as the linksys), configure statically the DNS and so on. This means that if the linksys and or pc reboot they get the same IP.. You can set DHCP ageing to solve this but from time to time it may die.

You'll also need to set the DHCP range outside of the address you assigned, i.e My linksys is 10.1.1.1, server 10.1.1.5 DCHP range is 10.1.1.10 to 10.1.1.20 (so i will never try to assign the statically addressed 10.1.1.5)

3. Configure port forwarding to the now fixed IP address use the following ports (if memory serves me correct)

TCP/6881 - TCP/6889
TCP/6969

Forward these to your fixed IP address

Voila, no problemo, this works easy for me, I have 1 PC which has a fixed IP and 2 laptops which get a DHCP address, this means if i want to mount drives, FTP, VNC etc to my server it always has the same address and works like a charm.

Anything else may be related to anti-virus or firewalling software on your PC which you may also need to open the above ports to let the traffic through.

Cheers

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:43 am 

If you have A MAC address function on the Router use it to continously assign the Same Ip to the same address. That way your IP is Static.

Its under something Similiar to Address Reservation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:19 pm 
I did all this and still cant upload, but I could upload before. Liek without changing anything.

Post subject: Opps
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:21 pm 
Never mind works now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:15 pm 
I have a bit of a problem with setting the static IP. I know how to set it up, but when I do, I loose connection, have to change it back to normal, and then go beserk on my configurations until it finally goes back to normal :). Does anyone know why this happens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:40 am 
Your router needs to know the newly assigned IP, so you have to refresh it's memory. Re-connecting your router or rebooting your PC should do the trick. Some routers may also have a refresh function on their web interface or do a automatic update when you apply any configuration changes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next