the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:34 pm 
I understand that you'll need to disable the firewall in order to have a better connection to other peers and such, so that you d/l is faster. But don't we want to keep the firewall up to avoid from someone hacking into your computer or something. Someone please expand on this as I don't know all the facts. What should a person do if they have: DSL, windows xp, and the firewall activated on their dsl connection. And the computer is at home. THanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:58 am 
You don't have to disable your firewall, you just need to configure it properly. Allow outgoing connections on any port and incoming connections on port 6881-6899.

Post subject: one stupid question
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:58 am 
Where do I see my status light ?

Post subject: Re: one stupid question
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:00 am 
Newbie wrote:
Where do I see my status light ?
In the top right corner, next to About.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:52 am 
Tanks Guest !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:59 am 
Hey, maybe this will help you out :http://gruven42.webhop.org/xpfwbt/xp_firewall_bt.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:00 pm 
Hey, maybe this will help you out :http://gruven42.webhop.org/xpfwbt/xp_firewall_bt.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:11 pm 
man i did wat the site told me to do that u listed above and when i open my torrent file it says failed couldnt listen - unable to foward port via UPnP
i really need help this is pissin me off plllzzzz help me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:24 pm 
i now got that fixed but now i am still gettin no green light its still yellow... this is getting me really mad i need some help pllzzzz :( :( :( :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:53 am 
punisher wrote:
You don't have to disable your firewall, you just need to configure it properly. Allow outgoing connections on any port and incoming connections on port 6881-6899.

I have absolutely no idea hopw to do that. I am using norton internet security but I cannot find any options anywhere to change the ports.

Any ideas anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:54 am 
How to add a firewall rule to Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall (NIS/NPF 2003 and 2004)

Create two Application rules for bittornado.
Then customize one to permit outbound connections, communication protocoll TCP and type Any.
Customize the other to permit inbound connections, protocoll TCP, choose "Only the types of communication identified below" and click Add, then set "Filter By" to "Port Range" and "Locality" to "Local". Enter the starting port 6881, enter the ending port 6899.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:45 am 
Cheers mate, i will give that a try. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:34 am 
Ok I have done that I think, but I still only get the yellow light.

In rule1 I have

Action tab = Permit

Connections tab = Connections TO other computers

Computers tab -= Any computer

communications = TCP (not TCP and UDP??) & All types of communication( all ports local and remote)

Tracking = nothing ticked

Description is = firewall rule and general

In rule 2 I have

Action tab = Permit

Connections tab = Connections FROM other computers

Computers tab = Any computer

communications tab = TCP (not TCP and UDP?) then only types of communication or ports listed below which then says "local ports 6881-6899"

Tracking & decription as before.

Is all this correct?

I have just had another thought too, I am connected through a binatone adsl 2000 router/modem to which another pc is connected. What effect does this have?

Thanks for your help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:05 pm 
Ok totally confused now.

I went to check the setting as told to me by punisher and what do I find? they have reset themselves to the original defaults.

I am downloading something at 30K/s so maybe I will just have to put up with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:28 pm 
I don't know what's wrong with your NIS not saving the settings :roll: .

If you have a router you also need to forward the ports there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next