the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:38 am 

Hi
I have succesfully forwarded several ports to my machine from my router, i have checked them and they are working, and i have tried to tell bittornado (and most other bittorent clients) to use them, i have done this via the prefs menu, the command line, editing shortcuts and by changing the default action for the file type under windows , And yet still i am unable to get bittornado to give me a nice connection on those ports, the status light is still yellow , I get poor speeds, there isnt a single Remote connection listed under advanced on any of the torrents iv tried, there are only Local ones. Help...

I ran TCPView to see what was going on and it seems that Bittorent is just listening on those ports and actually using other random ones for downloading ?????? whats going on ..HELP..please

There is no other firewall or proxy installed anywhere, but i am unable to forward the default port range cause my connection is shared, and I am the 5th machine, i dont know if that matters... I am prity baffled by what is happening.

If someone could maybe tell me which part of the source i could change to exclusivly tell it to use those ports that might be handy.

Last edited by evil_misake on Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:40 am 

No part of the source needs changing. Just click the blue word in the download window that says "Prefs" and then change the beginning and ending of the port range you wish to use there and then hit Save.

Last edited by bytetorrent on Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:45 am 

Did that, and tried every other way of setting the ports that i have found suggested, still displays yellow status and speeds suck and still no R connections . (yes I remebered to restart the client, even tried restarting computer)

Thx anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:01 am 

hmm. Try visiting http://www.grc.com and then scroll down and click their "Shields up" link. Click "Proceed" and then in the text box, type the port range you have open. If the range is 6881 through 6889, type:
Code:
6881-6889

then click "User specified custom port probe"

Is GRC able to connect to those ports?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:06 am 

thx what a handy website

ok my port range is

6993-6995
(not really just example)

sheilds up finds ports 6993 and 6995 as open

i have 1 torrent client currently running which TCPView says is listenning on 6993 and i have set overnet to use 6995 for the mo ....

??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:21 am 

Well, if shields up can connect just fine to your bittorrent port, then it may very well be open and listening just fine and maybe you are on torrents where there are almost no peers trying to connect out to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:33 am 

the tracker reports currently there are 33 peers including 3 seeds,
where as my client can only see 5 peers and only 1 seed
I can also see that several of the other peers are getting obscene speeds nearing 100KB/s
My connection is capable of that , noone else on my network is currently using the bandwidth,
my uploads are capped at a suitable speed to avoid blocking the downloads
the client still reports status as yellow - firewalled

...its very odd as far as i can tell it should be working fine , but im fairly sure it isnt.

the only though i have that it could be working well is if becuase my listenning port is different from the normal range of ports maybe older clients are ignoring it , or the tracker isnt giving people the right port for my machine.. is this possible??
i didnt think it would be?

?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:40 am 

You may be having problems if you're behind a transparent web proxy. We're working on ways to resolve that issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:46 am 

That does seem likely thanks

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h. ... cache.html
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/tran ... proxy.html

if i find a way round it i will post it , if not i will just have to wait for you to come up with one.

thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:08 am 

it would seem that the easiest way round the proxy cache is to specify the use of another proxy that doesnt use port 80
i dont know a way of doing this without the features explicitly being written into the client .
Does anyone?

I will have a go at writing one when i get a bit of time , but my python aint so good, so it would probably be better if someone else wrote one. :P

Post subject: firewall yellow lite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:59 pm 
ho i try that site www.grc.com
i try ports 6881 to 6889
the status is stealth
thas wy my lite is always yellow?

thanks Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:18 am 
ya, my ports are stealthed too. help please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:05 am 
i've tried 1000-7300 and all are stealth! do I keep trying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:53 am 

you guys need to punch a hole in your router/firewall telling it to open those ports and forward them to your machine. then tell bittornado to use those ports from the preference options, then run a torrent, once you have one running try scanning those ports again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:26 pm 

evil_misake wrote:
thx what a handy website

ok my port range is

6993-6995
(not really just example)

sheilds up finds ports 6993 and 6995 as open

i have 1 torrent client currently running which TCPView says is listenning on 6993 and i have set overnet to use 6995 for the mo ....

??
You have to be specific with bt client, change from 6881-6999 to 6993-6995 and it will turn green right away. It does not know that 6881,6882 is blocked etc or it stalls on it and will probably takes year before it would get to 6993. If you want to use bittorent on multiple machine, you have to set the port exactly as is like 6881-6882, 6883-6884, etc. basically you can set any port heh but you have to let the client knows too, cause its not that smart.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next