the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:01 am 

Hi,

I was trying to download Fedora using BitTornado.
I have had the yellow light now for 2 hours.
All the setup seems to be correct. Other P2P clients seem to work fine.

Please help me to remove the yellow light . I am getting only 2kB/s.

I connect to the Internet through a Linux Gateway and my machine runs Windows XP Pro.

Also i see a upload rate even when the yellow light is there. What does this indicate ? I thought that yellow light means nobody has connected to me.

Thanks
Abhishek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:12 am 
A yellow light means that you cannot receive incomming connections, but you're still able to initiate connections by yourself.
You have to forward the ports used by bittornado (6881-6899) on your gateway (and on XP if you use the build-in firewall).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:36 am 

punisher wrote:
A yellow light means that you cannot receive incomming connections, but you're still able to initiate connections by yourself.
You have to forward the ports used by bittornado (6881-6899) on your gateway (and on XP if you use the build-in firewall).

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. In the meanwhile will you be able to tell me why i am seeing some figures in the Upload rate and Uploaded fields.

Thanks
Abhishek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:03 am 
By "still be able to initiate connections by yourself" I meant that bittorrent still can connect to other peers. There are two types of connections: local connections and remote connections. If you have a yellow light you will have only local connections, the remote connections are blocked by your router/firewall. Local connections are outgoing connection from your computer to others and remote connections are connections from other peers to your computer. If you click on Advanced in Bittornado, the local connections are indicated with a 'L' and the remote with a 'R'. So even with a yellow light you can still download and upload.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:05 pm 
punisher wrote:
A yellow light means that you cannot receive incoming connections, but you're still able to initiate connections by yourself. You have to forward the ports used by bittornado (6881-6899) on your gateway (and on XP if you use the build-in firewall).

Could you explain the process for doing that in WinME or other pre-XP os? Thanks. (I have an ActionTech DSL modem.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:58 am 
mike18xx wrote:
Could you explain the process for doing that in WinME or other pre-XP os? Thanks. (I have an ActionTech DSL modem.)

I posted here: http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=830

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:39 pm 
How to forward ports on gateway ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]