the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: OPENING ALL PORTS
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:13 pm 

I was thinking, what would happen if i was to open all ports...meaning from 1-65535...that means hackers can get in..but won't that also mean that i can download faster....even though i still get that damn yellllloow light..ahhh!!1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:18 pm 

Opening all ports wouldn't accomplish anything over opening a single port per bittorrent download other than make yourself more vulnerable to attack if you just so happen to be running vulnerable and unpatched services on those other non-related bittorrent ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:27 am 
I added ports 6881-6899 and 6969 in my WindowXP inbuilt firewall. In the IP adress i put 127.0.0.1 that loops me to the right adress, right ?
I made the NAT check portforwarding check and FAILED
My question is: Is "adding ports to firewall" and "portforwarding" two diffrent things i got to do ?

I do the "ipconfig ping" thing and theres a diffrent IPadress than NAT checks finds, very simular exept the last figure. I only got one PC so there is no home network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:28 am 
I added ports 6881-6899 and 6969 in my WindowXP inbuilt firewall. In the IP adress i put 127.0.0.1 that loops me to the right adress, right ?
I made the NAT check portforwarding check and FAILED
My question is: Is "adding ports to firewall" and "portforwarding" two diffrent things i got to do ?

I do the "ipconfig ping" thing and theres a diffrent IPadress than NAT checks finds, very simular exept the last figure. I only got one PC so there is no home network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:34 am 
You probably have a dynamic ip as opposed to a static one.
Same problem here, when I use "ipconfig" I get 3 addresses:

IP address asigned by my isp; Subnet mask, and the default gateway

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.invalid
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.xxx.xxx.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.xxx.xxx.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.xxx.xxx.254

I have no hardware router installed.

Putting the IP address that everyone else on the internet can see into the cliet doesn't do shit.
Still some torrents are green but most are yellow.
The firewall [Zone Alarm Pro] that I have makes no diff when it comes to the colors displayed. I could turn it off, check for port stealthing at https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and they would still show as "stealth".

Some explanation for this type of thing, or a link to an axplanation would be helpfull if anyone knows of one...especially the ipconfig results.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]