the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:32 am 

due to the fact that i can get a green light part of the time, i'm thinking that i'm getting closer. however, before i installed my router i was achieving speeds of 30kb/s. i'm only averaging 12kb/s now.

both machines are running 98se. router is d-link 604. cable modem is webstar (scientific atlanta) model dpx100. i've tried using shadow's s-5.8.11 and bittornado 0.3.1.

when i connected the modem directly into the computer, i received my old speeds once again. additionally, it was giving me my old ip of 65.60.x.x. i plugged the modem back into the router and my speed dropped to ~12kb/s. my ip also changed to 192.168.0.x BUT only as reported through my system. both whatsmyip.com and the natcheck still recognize the 65.60.x.x ip. at least i'm getting a green light about half of the time now. additionally, i'm trying to run another torrent on another computer at the same time, but i'm only getting the yellow light for that one with a 1kb/s download.

things i've done are: aded virtual server at port 6969, set trigger and public ports to 6881-6999, and set up the internal firewall as specified at d-link's website. all of this helped me to get rid of the damn yellow light for the most part.

seems like i'm missing something, though, as i see numerous posts of much higher speeds. granted, the fansub anime i'm d/lding might not be that popular, but i've gotten d/ld's of 30kb/s or better prior to the router. all my other internet functions are fine.

i'm willing to try most anything. the dmz function does not affect my throughput so i'm figuring that there must be something i'm missing. as it's nearly six in the morning, and i've been messing with this since midnight, i'm sure there's something that i couldn't keep track of. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:45 am 
You don't need the virtual server setup on port 6969. The best thing would be to forward some ports (e.g. 6881-6885) to your first computer and some other ports (e.g. 6886-6890) to the second computer. Then configure bittornado accordingly on both computers. The two computers should have a static IP and you only need to forward as much ports as you want to run instances of bittornado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:28 am 

tried removing the virtual server and always received a yellow light response with same ~2kb/s download. tried limiting the ports (6881-6940 and 6941-6999) and ended up with a yellow light about 75% of the time with ~6kb/s download. the upload, however, jumped from 5kb/s to ~12kb/s. at least i'm sending to everyone else. :) placing my computer in the dmz made download jump to 10kb/s for brief periods of time, but i have managed nearly 30kb/s prior to the router. any other ideas? thanx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:12 pm 
You should only use the virtual server setup for forwarding the ports.
It is good to start using a single computer, so configure some ports in the virtual server setup, e.g. 6881-6885, that allows you to have 5 different torrents running at the same time. As private IP put in the IP of the first computer. You will end up with 5 virtual server settings, listed like "Bittornado 192.168.2.2 TCP 6881/6881 always". Disable DMZ and port triggering, then try to download some torrents and see if you can get a green light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:53 pm 
okay, did as you said. now i'm only getting a yellow light. maybe it's something i did wrong. please take a look at these pictures and tell me where i might have screwed up. (please note, these were the settings as i had them. i did try only what you specified by itself in the previous message.) thanx, punisher. if nothing else, at least i'm learning where i'm going wrong. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:33 pm 

just on a whim, do you happen to know of a good torrent where i can test me settings. i'm wondering if i'm not doing this properly but just keep getting slow torrents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:09 am 
Hmm, it seems you configured the ports in 3 different ways :lol: .
First disable the port triggering for bittornado under applications, we don't need that.
You have a build-in firewall, good, so we will use this to do the port forwarding. The advantage is, that you can set port ranges and on the virtual server setup you can only set single ports. As you already have entries on the firewall page, leave the first two bittornado settings enabled, but disable or remove the 5 settings with the single ports listed (6881,..,6885). I guess that they are linked from the virtual server page, if not disable or remove the settings there too.
So you should now have disabled/removed all settings from applications and virtual server screen and you should have the two entries for bittornado on the firewall screen.

Now test the settings on your first computer, check if ports are set to 6881-6940 in bittornado, also ensure that the actual IP is 192.168.0.100.

You can use the torrent from bittornado here http://bittornado.com/BitTornado-0.3.1- ... xe.torrent or try something from http://bt.etree.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:15 pm 

seems my trouble is with the torrents i choose. i did some tweaking and am now getting ~28kb/s with 4 peers and 1 seed. also am fairly consistently getting a green light. any ideas on how to get the second one hooked up or should i just be happy with what i've got? :) many thanx, punisher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:54 am 
If you still have the firewall setting for the second IP (192.168.0.101) and ports 6941-6999, just configure bittornado to use only the ports 6941-6999 on that computer and it should work too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]