the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:30 am 
Step by step instruction please !

Ive read FAQs until my eyes bleed and found out that this what I got to do now but I cant find somewhere HOW and where to do it.

My problem is the slow speed. (2 seeders, 5 leechers it shouldnt be a problem)
My share ratio is 1,4 , the seeders got high the other leachers got a lower like 0,3 or 0,7 or so.
Download rate 0-4, Upload rate 0-10 (twice) until it stops.
I got my self broadband connection, but download rate is slower now than with dialup!

*We only got one PC in the house so a NAT gateway cant be my problem.
*I got Windows XP and shut the hole firewall down,
*I got Norman viruscontol and shut the whole firewall down temporary now for be sure its not limiting the speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:57 am 
When you start bittorrent there is a box named "Upload rate (kB/s)", the number in the box is your actual upload rate setting, the two little arrows are used to change the rate. You can also use the slider right of it to adjust the upload rate, the numbers at the left/right end are the min/max possible settings. You control the range with the drop down menu labeled "Settings for".
To put in "80%" you have to know your max possible upload bandwidth, it's often indicated as bits per second (bps), so you have to divide it by 8 to get bytes per second, then multiply it with 0.8 to get 80%. As you want the upload rate as kilo bytes (KB), you finally have to divide it by 1024.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:56 pm 
punisher wrote:
To put in "80%" you have to know your max possible upload bandwidth, it's often indicated as bits per second (bps), so you have to divide it by 8 to get bytes per second, then multiply it with 0.8 to get 80%. As you want the upload rate as kilo bytes (KB), you finally have to divide it by 1024.

IMO, little of this stuff works unless you're using dial-up, and you *know* what your cap is. With broadband, however, you're competing with a thousand other ISP subscribers at any given moment, and your "real-world" cap will bounce up and down like a yo-yo depending upon what everyone's doing.

Number of tasks seems to be considerably more important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:33 am 
The important thing is that you don't saturate your connection and it doesn't matter wether it is dial-up or a static connection, what matters is the technique used. What people call "broadband" are mostly DSL or CABLE connections and they all have this saturation problem. Also ISPs offer speeds per modem, so the connections are not shared with other users, what your ISP can handle beyond your DSL/CABLE line is another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:00 am 
Tanks for all your help! I got 100.0Mbps on my "broadband" connection.
The problem is that I got The Official BitTorrent that dont allow me to limit the uploading rate (embarrasing to be on the wrong forum :oops: )
I guess Im stuck with this rate until I have finished downloading this time.
I got a little higher rate 10-15KiB/s today when there were only leechers t but it slowed down after a while to 1 KiB/s when a seed connected. Looks like a saturating problem ?
I will get BitTornado later and hopefully my problem will be solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:49 am 

I found a site that was pretty good (for me) at determining both my downstream and upstream.

http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

It requires java installed and functional to do its test with and it is best to test it when you have nothing else using your connection.

Its estimate would be in kilobits/sec, so divide the number it gives you for your upstream's speed (such as "256kbps") by 8 then multiply that resulting value (ex: 32k/s) by 0.70, 0.75, or 0.80 and one of those should be a decent value (ex: 25k/s) to set your max upload speed at.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]