the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: ip address problem
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:05 am 
I recently installed BitTornado on my computer. I was reading this and it mentioned that you get a different ip address everytime you reconnect when using a modem. It says that one way to solve this is to manually enter your ip address in the commandline option. However, I was wondering if there was a way to do this other than the commandline in BitTornado (perhaps somewhere in options?). If not, then can any of you explain to me how to do this using the commandline. I just don't understand this. If this helps, I have: a modem, and windows xp home edition. THanks.

PS: if you also know how to open ports in Norton Personal Firewall 2003, I would appreciate that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:57 am 
Normally, you don't need to supply your IP through the commandline, the tracker "detects" the IP automatically.

You can enter an IP in bittornado advanced prefs, but you only need this if, for example, you're running a tracker and the client on the same machine and you want to connect to the tracker with your external IP rather than your LAN IP.

How to add a firewall rule to NIS/NPF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:08 am 

punisher wrote:
You can enter an IP in bittornado advanced prefs, but you only need this if, for example, you're running a tracker and the client on the same machine and you want to connect to the tracker with your external IP rather than your LAN IP.

Actually, even in this case, you still don't need to specify the IP as long as you use your external IP/hostname as the tracker URL in the torrent file, the tracker program will see the incoming connection as your external IP and not your LAN IP which works provided that a person's router supports loopback connections using their external IP (some routers don't).

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:34 pm 
so even though my ip address changes since I am using a modem, I don't have to do anything, correct? thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]