the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:36 pm 
My isp tracks the files I have shared for copyright stuff. When I used Kazaa, isp would suspend my service because I had an MP3 in my shared folder. Would using this program put me in danger of losing my internet service, if for example I should accidently dl something with a copyright? (I'd hate to have to go to DSL). Does anyone else have any experience with this situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:09 pm 

When you use BitTorrent you are simultaneously sharing parts of the same file or set of files you are downloading. If you are using BitTorrent to share w4r3z then your ISP may have issues with you. (Hopefully your ISP won't decide BitTorrent == piracy and disallow it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:27 pm 
anybody, please correct me if any of the following is wrong!

You can't do anything about your ISP monitoring the traffic you send through their network, but unlike e-mail, the data sent by bittorrent would be a bit difficult to read without them being able to identify what program was sending the data, and using the same software to decode the data, (by no means impossible, but probably not worth their while just to check up on a single customer).

However, unless your agreement with the ISP specifically grants them the rights to access your private data, you should be able to prevent them accessing your shared folders by using an IP blocker program, such as PeerGuardian.

A good firewall should block most of their unsolicited access to your PC anyway, but won't stop from using port sniffers to get in through ports left open for your peer-to-peer stuff, but if you can identify the servers they use to get in you can stop them with an IP blocker.

At the end of the day, because you need the ISP, you won't be able to block them entirely, but the chances are you can make it more hassle than its worth for them to get round your protection.

Eddie G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:09 am 
i dont think the isp has the right to hack you/ to view your files.
they notice that you are uploading lots of stuff, but i dont think they can read the date, so they cant see if its illegal.

i dont think an isp can disallow bittorrent, maybe the gouverment, but thats not likely since it is also used for legal stuff.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]