the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:55 am 
I have two machines running BitTorando behind a corporate firewall. So I don't have any control over opening up the incoming ports. Also, a lot of outgoing ports are also closed, epsecially in the classic P2P ranges. :(

Both machines are on the same IP subnet (with no firewall or NAT betwen them) and are downloading the same Torrent, using the same Tracker.

What is interesting, is that neither machine has uploaded to or downloaded from the other.

:arrow: Is there a way that the two (or more) machines behind the firewall/NAT can exchange their collected torrent data on the LAN they are connected to?

In BitTorando, I tried putting my local IP address in BotTorando's advance settings, but didn't seem to work.

A sub question is: Is there a way I can find out what IP address the Tracker thinks these clients are using?

Another sub question is: As our fiewall does close off a lot of ports used by P2P programs, can I get BotTorando to request the Tracker to only return nodes that use (or don't use) certain ports?

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:09 am 

Anubis wrote:
:arrow: Is there a way that the two (or more) machines behind the firewall/NAT can exchange their collected torrent data on the LAN they are connected to?

Yes. You could setup a tracker on your own LAN, then have both clients "external announce" to it. Once that is done, they would then connect to each other. The reason they don't when using an external tracker, is because the tracker sees their external IP address and only hands the external IP address to both instances of BitTornado and with no open ports, your internal peers would see the external IP, try to connect to whatever port they claimed to be listening using the external IP and fail to connect, thus never connecting to each other.

Anubis wrote:
In BitTorando, I tried putting my local IP address in BotTorando's advance settings, but didn't seem to work.

Some trackers ignore the local IP given by the client.

Anubis wrote:
A sub question is: Is there a way I can find out what IP address the Tracker thinks these clients are using?

www.whatismyip.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]