the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Trouble installing ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:39 pm 
Hi
I've spent many hours tryong to make BitTornado work on my mandrake 10
After installing python 2.3.4 and wxpython 2.3, it takes me quite some time to understand i had to exec setup.py, and some more to understand i had to do it with the 'install' command and under roots rights ... ouf !
It seemed to be install, so i fired a wonderful:
/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py my_file.torrent
and it pukes me an awful:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 29, in ?
from BitTornado.ConfigReader import configReader
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTornado/ConfigReader.py", line 40, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/_misc.py", line 145, in SystemSettings_GetColour
return _misc_.SystemSettings_GetColour(*args, **kwargs)
wx._core.PyNoAppError: The wx.App object must be created first!

After investigations, i read that in the new wxpython specifications, the application must create the wx.App object to run ...
is bittornado compatible with this ? or aspecific version of wxpython must be a use ... or i am really going wrong with these steps ... ?
Help please !
(xcuz my english i'm french :)
--
St@X
Straight Ahead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:56 am 
I have the exact same error when trying to run BitTornado 0.3.7 on a MacOS 10.3.x system with a pre-installed python 2.3 and wxPythonOSX-2.5.2.7.
Code:
 File "/Users/cath/Desktop/BitTorrent
Stuff/BitTornado-CVS/btdownloadgui.py", line 29, in ?
 File "/Users/cath/Desktop/BitTorrent
Stuff/BitTornado-CVS/BitTornado/ConfigReader.py", line 40, in ?
   _CHECKINGCOLOR =
ColorToHex(wxSystemSettings_GetColour(wxSYS_COLOUR_3DSHADOW))
 File "//Library/Python/2.3/wx/_misc.py", line 145, in
SystemSettings_GetColour

the same 0.3.7 btdownloadgui.py runs fine on an XP machine with python 2.3 and wxPython 2.5.1.5 -

Also BitTorrent T-0.2.0 runs fine on my Linux(RH9) with wxPython 2.4.2.4 and python 2.2

at the moment I am also having no joy running 0.3.7 on my linux machine either - on that I get a bizzare message saying
Code:
No such file or directory]$ /usr/bin/env: python

while 0.2.0 runs fine on the same RH9 machine! (both versions start with the #! usr/bin/env python).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:43 pm 
With wxPython 2.5.2.7 the wxApp object must be created before any gui function can be used. See http://www.wxpython.org/recentchanges.php and http://www.wxpython.org/migrationguide.php.

As a quick workaround you can change "configReader.py", line 40-41 from:
Code:
_CHECKINGCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxSystemSettings_GetColour(wxSYS_COLOUR_3DSHADOW))
_DOWNLOADCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxSystemSettings_GetColour(wxSYS_COLOUR_ACTIVECAPTION))
to:
Code:
_CHECKINGCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxColour(155,156,157))
_DOWNLOADCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxColour(1,1,1))

Post subject: what's da hell !
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 am 
yo,
thanks for your help punisher : )
So, if btdownloadgui prompts me that the wx.App must be created, that means there were an error while compiling/interpreting. If there's an error, that means my wxpython's runtime environment is not compatible with the BitTornado's needs (as the code is supposed to work).
I tried to change the lines that brings the error, as punisher suggested, but then came another one:

Quote:
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTornado/ConfigReader.py", line 40, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/_misc.py", line 145, in SystemSettings_GetColour

I think i should try with other python/wxpython version, but i don't now what version, and farther i don't know how to install another version without making conflicts between versions ....

what should i do ? Help please ! BitTornado seem to be the best way to manage webseeds, i really NEED to make it work
thanks again
--
St@X
Straight Ahead

Post subject: Re: what's da hell !
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:43 am 
dastax wrote:
yo,
thanks for your help punisher : )
So, if btdownloadgui prompts me that the wx.App must be created, that means there were an error while compiling/interpreting. If there's an error, that means my wxpython's runtime environment is not compatible with the BitTornado's needs (as the code is supposed to work).
I tried to change the lines that brings the error, as punisher suggested, but then came another one:

Quote:

I think i should try with other python/wxpython version, but i don't now what version, and farther i don't know how to install another version without making conflicts between versions ....

what should i do ? Help please ! BitTornado seem to be the best way to manage webseeds, i really NEED to make it work
thanks again
--
St@X
Straight Ahead

Skip the wx calls altogether - you'll lose the 'native look and feel', but it will work. Feel free to change the colors (I used the ones Punisher suggested):
Code:
_CHECKINGCOLOR=0x9b9c9d
_DOWNLOADCOLOR=0x10101
[/code]

Post subject: close to make it work
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:45 am 
Ok man, thnaks for your help, your trick fixed the colour errors,
Now i can make it run !!
BUT
* in btdownloadgui, when i click on "Prefs", nothing happens except the following error logs in the console:
Code:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTornado/ConfigReader.py", line 215, in configMenu
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTornado/ConfigReader.py", line 29, in HexToColor
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'split'

* when i launch btdownload-gui as root it fails and puke some errors:
Code:
  File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 191, in __init__
    self.filestatusIcons.Add(wxBitmap(os.path.join(self.basepath,'yellow1.ico'), wxBITMAP_TYPE_ICO))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/_gdi.py", line 4332, in Add
    return _gdi_.ImageList_Add(*args, **kwargs)
PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "bitmap.GetWidth() == m_width && bitmap.GetHeight() == m_height" failed in ../src/generic/imaglist.cpp(74): invalid bitmap size in wxImageList: this might work on this platform but definitely won't under Windows.

File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 2356, in ?
    run(argv[1:])
  File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 2204, in run
    _run(params)
  File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 2207, in _run
    app = btWxApp(0, params)
  File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 2173, in __init__
    wxApp.__init__(self, x)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/_core.py", line 5227, in __init__
    self._BootstrapApp()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/_core.py", line 4915, in _BootstrapApp
    return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 2178, in OnInit
    self.SetTopWindow(d.frame)
AttributeError: DownloadInfoFrame instance has no attribute 'frame'

... any help is welcome !
thx
--
St@X
Straight Ahead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:35 am 
Sorry - that's what I get when I'm too lazy to read a few lines up :lol: The correct form is:

Code:
_CHECKINGCOLOR='9b 9c 9d'
_DOWNLOADCOLOR='01 01 01'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:28 pm 
Yepp, you can also use the direct hex strings. The wxColour(...) should also work, it seems you did not save the configReader.py file properly. The traceback in your second post still shows the SystemSettings_GetColour call, which is no longer used after the modifications.

Post subject: well
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:22 am 
Ok iit works fine now ! I can access the prefs menu : )
I still can't run it as root but i don't care, as i won't dl any stuff as root !
thanks again for your help, fast and efficient
--
St@X
Straight Ahead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:42 am 
well it seems a new problem occurred (i applied the modifications):

Code:
  File "btdownloadgui.py", line 481, in onInvoke
    apply(event.func, event.args, event.kwargs)
  File "btdownloadgui.py", line 1579, in onUpdateStatus
    self.setStatusIcon('startup')
  File "btdownloadgui.py", line 496, in setStatusIcon
    statidata.DrawIcon(self.statusIcons[name],0,0)
  File "//Library/Python/2.3/wx-2.5.3-mac-ansi/wx/_gdi.py", line 2722, in DrawIcon
    return _gdi_.DC_DrawIcon(*args, **kwargs)
PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxAssertFailure" failed in ../src/mac/carbon/dc.cpp(432): Invalid icon wxDC::DoDrawIcon

i'm sorry but i'm not familiar with python; i could probably fix it if i were :-p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:12 pm 
well all in all the GUI elements are pretty fucked up with the Aqua user interface... (on OS X) for instance, the prefs dialog: many options are not clickable. Of course you can set these options in ~/.BitTornado/config.gui.ini, but it isnt really comfortable compared to Windows. Lots of work needed to be done. I wonder if it had been better with xfree68 as an interface server .. how well does it work on Linux?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:30 pm 

Hey, if you're offering to buy me an OS X box to test stuff on, I'd happily accept it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:32 am 
too bad it python isnt as compatible as java when it comes to cross-platform capability... well i guess the CLI client would work fine.

Still, you could test it on Linux (if you dont have ppc hardware), if it works flawlessly there, i'm sure you could also make work on the mac; because X11/xfree86 (i dont know what wxpython uses there - gtk, motif, or qt/kde) is also available for the freebsd, hence os x too.

If you managed that, it would be great if you could tell us what exact configuration (python version, wxpython version etc.) you used to get it running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:04 am 
well now.. are you gonna do it? maybe you know someone else with python language skills who could help you... anyone in this forum?

Post subject: PROBLEM SOLVED
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:36 am 
Problem solved thanks to the people at the wxpython-mac mailing list. Look here:

http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?10:mss:1193:hedpdngcjjlbfjgaehom

Thank you!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next