the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 56k dialup questions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:14 am 
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about using BitTornado over a dialup connection. They aren't related to installation, severe problems, or firewalls; so I'm not sure this is the right place for the post. There seem to be plenty similar posts here, though, so I'm putting it here.

First, my share ratio is pitiful (currently 0.052 and slowly dropping). I'm usually not uploading at all; and when I am, it only goes 1kB/s, compared with 1-4kB/s download. Is this just something to expect with a slow connection, or should I be able to adjust settings to improve it? My upload rate settings are 5kB/s upload, 2 max connections.

Second, I've seen several times the suggestion to leave the client open after the download finishes. Does this apply to users with hideously slow connections like mine? I'm afraid I'll just slow things down for others if I stay on. Would I help things more by staying on or getting off?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:20 am 
lol, I guess 1kb upload does indeed allow you to disconnect when 100%, but to be nice first check the tornadowindow if there's any peer, because if you are the only one with 100% your few packets might be the difference between eveybody else getting the complete file or not.
Also remember that what you send is then resend by the receivers at higher speed (hopefully) so it's never a complete loss, especially if you happen to have rare packets others don't have yet.
Imagine you have packet #11765 and only you have it and the guy you got it from disconnected, now when you slowly send that, the one that got it sends it and the next one etc etc. and you can rescue the whole chain :]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:59 am 
Thanks for the reply. That's a good point, but I don't think it's an issue with this particular torrent. I'm usually connected to about 20 seeds and only 1-5 peers (although that's not true at the moment), so there should be plenty of complete copies. And when I said I'm usually not uploading, I don't mean the upload rounds down to 0kB/s; I mean there are no upload connections in the Advanced window. So I'm not contributing much at all.

I'll stay connected if I know it won't hurt anything. I'm just worried that the time spent connecting with me, realizing I'm slow, and disconnecting (or choking, or snubbing, or whatever) will make people's downloads slower than if I disconnected. I hope the cost of connecting and disconnecting is small, but I don't know that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:41 am 
hey YeLLoW caVem aN, time to change your shitty ISP. :lol:
my isp is 50 times faster then you!!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]