the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:57 pm 
I think the original poster was confused on why the client was asking for a .torrent file..

Torrent files are basically files that tell your client what tracker server to connect to and what files you are supposed to get. Your client gets this info from the .torrent file then tries to connect to the tracker which points you to other clients to connect to who have all or some of the file(s). You upload and download bits and pieces of files between the clients.

Remember this is filesharing so even after you get 100% of the file it's nice to keep it open so others can download some of the files from you(try to get up to a share rating of 1.000 that way it's more like an even trade.) If you feel like sharing anytime later, you can once again download the torrent and just save to the same place you saved before, it won't overwrite your files it will just check to see if you have all of it and then start uploading, also good for resuming a file later.

To obtain torrent files you can find them on the WWW or IRC.
zero_system posted a link to downloadanime.org to get .torrent files for Anime related files. You can also do a search on Google for "torrent tracker" that may be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:24 am 
Lo all,

Just got BitTornado downloaded and also got stumpped when asked for the torrent file, which is how I came here...

A search on google should give you want without to much trouble and you'll be downloading whatever in a few mins.

I've got my first downloads going now. You could go here for free legal torrent downloads http://www.legaltorrents.com

There's a 2mb torrent file there to download (at time of typing) plus loads of larger mp3's / books etc

I'm still unsure how people would get my files though? Will look around!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2