the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: D/loading, Uploading
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:47 am 
I'm a new user after a bit of advice.
I want to downloading the file I am currently d/loading as fast as possible, then up load it when I'm done to improve my rating again. What are the best settings for these two things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:49 pm 
make sure ports are forwarded. also set the uplaod rate to around 90% of your total upload capacity.

thats it. best settigns done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:22 am 
Okay, here is what I don't get. My connection speed is 288kbps which sounds like it should be pretty decent.

However, my downloads are consistenly 10% of that, meaning that the most I can ever get while downloading files is around 24kbps and my max upload is around 12kbps. Why is this? I notice that my modem is actually handling a large volume of traffic, but 24kbps is pretty slow isn't it?

I also noticed that eDonkey had a small help file where you were able to calculate your dowload and upload rates. When I did this, I discovered that 24kbps is actually what my max download rate should be, but I just don't understand why. It seems the pipe is pretty big, and yet just a trickle comes through. What is all the other modem traffic for then?

Curious.

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:31 am 
One bit is ether a 1 or a 0 and there are 8 bits in a bytes (also called an 8 bit word amongst other things) so 288 Kbps (binary kilobit per second) = 36 KBps (binary kilobyte per second) so this is your maximum theoretical download speed.
see
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22bits+and+bytes%22
and
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2388

288 Kbps is an unusual download speed though, what kind of connection do you have?

Post subject: Connection speed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:18 am 
Hi again,

Thanks for the reply. Something so simple, but I just was not understanding it. :shock:

In answer to your question, I am using an ADSL USB modem for the first time and it is kinda odd. Where I have just moved to, this is the only internet connection option available other than dialup. It comes in speeds of 288kbps, 512kpbs, or 1mb.

Thanks again,

D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]