the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:57 pm 
What's the difference between "unlimited" and "automatic" in BitTornado?

I've tried to find the answer on my own -- honest. If there's a faq document I've missed somewhere, please let me know...stop me before I ask stupid questions again.

Thanks!

N.V.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:29 pm 
In "unlimited" mode, BitTornado will try and upload at the maximum speed that your connection allows, up to 4 (by default) or more concurrent peers, not caring if it affects your download speed at all.

In "automatic" mode, BitTornado will try and upload at the maximum speed that your connection allows without affecting (too much) your download speed. It does this by trying the fastest upload, and then slowly decreases it until your download speed is maxed out and is stable. It is the recommended mode for people who have assymetrical (more download than upload speed) Internet connections, since this would allow them to share the most without impacting their download speeds, as assymetrical connections are known to slow to a crawl when the upload is maxed out (since new packets requesting more data are sort of "queued" until there is enought width to send them, which slows everything down).

I hope my explanation was clear, as I'm not a native English speaker ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:46 pm 

Yep you summed up all the key points very well i must add :wink:

Post subject: A Little Smarter Now
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:58 pm 
Thanks very much! Very clear, and very helpful.

N.V.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:03 pm 

Good explanation... My question is just - is it the same when running several torrents at the same time?

An example could be: 3 active torrents, where 2 is downloading, 1 is seeding. All are set to automatic. What happens with the torrent that's seeding, won't it max out the upload since there's no need for download on that one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:18 pm 

Might be able to answer my own question here ;) ... Testing at the moment, but it seems like the automatic settings are calculated 'overall' meaning it makes sense when running several torrents at the same time.

My upload is around 50 KB/s and after running 2 torrents (1 seeding, 1 leeching) - for a little while, the automatic settings has been set to:

Torrent 1 (seeding): Upload rate: 21 KB/s, Max uploads: 5
Torrent 2 (leeching): Upload rate: 26 KB/s, Max uploads: 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:34 pm 
wut is bittorrent set to, auto or unlimited?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:12 pm 

What is SUPER-SEEDING?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:22 pm 

The super-seed feature in S-5.5 and on is a new seeding algorithm designed to help a torrent initiator with limited bandwidth "pump up" a large torrent, reducing the amount of data it needs to upload in order to spawn new seeds in the torrent.

When a seeding client enters "super-seed mode", it will not act as a standard seed, but masquerades as a normal client with no data. As clients connect, it will then inform them that it received a piece -- a piece that was never sent, or if all pieces were already sent, is very rare. This will induce the client to attempt to download only that piece.

When the client has finished downloading the piece, the seed will not inform it of any other pieces until it has seen the piece it had sent previously present on at least one other client. Until then, the client will not have access to any of the other pieces of the seed, and therefore will not waste the seed's bandwidth.

This method has resulted in much higher seeding efficiencies, by both inducing peers into taking only the rarest data, reducing the amount of redundant data sent, and limiting the amount of data sent to peers which do not contribute to the swarm. Prior to this, a seed might have to upload 150% to 200% of the total size of a torrent before other clients became seeds. However, a large torrent seeded with a single client running in super-seed mode was able to do so after only uploading 105% of the data. This is 150-200% more efficient than when using a standard seed.

Super-seed mode is NOT recommended for general use. While it does assist in the wider distribution of rare data, because it limits the selection of pieces a client can downlad, it also limits the ability of those clients to download data for pieces they have already partially retrieved. Therefore, super-seed mode is only recommended for initial seeding servers.

For more infomation see:

http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]