the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: 1st Time User
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:10 pm 

Downloaded & installed BitTornado last night - thank you for a great program javascript:emoticon(':D'). Like most new users I have gone beserk with downloading & now I want to make sure I am giving something back in exchange. To help me do that, a few (newbie) questions. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 and Firefox.
1) Is there a way to download/seed multiple files without launching multiple copies of BitTornado?
2) During the time I am downloading, am I only uploading the current files being downloaded? Does BT have "knowledge" of previously downloaded torrents & upload them as well? If not, how do I tell BT that I have other torrents available for upload?
3) If I double-click a torrent (on my machine) that I previously downloaded, have I reseeded? Is this the way to let BT know I have other torrents available for upload?
4) Is it correct to say that if I make ANY changes/deletions to either the files (change file name, add/delete file) or the directory structure (change directory name add/delete directory) of a previously downlodad torrent, I need to create a new torrent and then upload?
5)If I just move the entire diectory structure & files, from a previously downloaded torrent, to a new location do I also need to create a new torrent?
6) I left BitTornado running overnight & this morning my CPU utilization was running at around 50% & bogging down other applications. Virtually all of this usage was attributed to Firefox.exe. Any idea why this is so?
7) I shut down Firefox & received a message (along the lines of) that I was canceling a transfer. I was not downloading at the time. Did I interupt an upload from my machine? Why do I need to keep Firefox running - I thought it would be enough to keep BitTornado running?
Sorry for the number of questions & thanks for your help - Vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:55 pm 

1) The new Client will make it one Instance.
2) You are only uploading the file you are downloading. And the only way to get bittorrent to upload it again is to open up the torrent file again to start uploading. There is no system currently that does anything like Kazaa did which was share the whole folder or share only things you've downloaded.
3) Yes that is basicaly reseeding.
4) You cant change the file name itself but you can move it about anywhere. Just tell bittorrent to save to where you have the file at.
5) answered with 4.
6) it could be that firefox is running some java. I've noticed major slow downs like when i go to sites with alots of java. But then again i need to get the latest version of Firefox to see if it was fixed. (I could be wrong)
7) Firefox is just saying it was downloading something and you are closing out. ( I am not sure here)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]