the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:23 pm 
I'm a recent PC to Mac convert, so not too hot on the mac just yet, but not afraid of a command line as was competent in DOS.

Use BitTorrent currently, a Windows Friend tells me BitTornado is much faster - have installed it using DarwinPorts, but am having no luck searching these forums in actually finding how i run the program (as either a command prompt or GUI)

Any pointers to how to use this program would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:39 am 
1. install developer tools
2. download and install python for mac os x
3. download and install wxpython for mac os x
4. download and unpack bittornado.tar.gz
5. execute "BitTornado/setup.py install" (in a terminal)
6. copy BitTornado/*.py to somewhere in $PATH

to use a torrent-file you have to execute (in a terminal) "pythonw btdownloadgui.py file.torrent" for the GUI-Version or "python btdownloadcurses.py file.torrent" for the text-Version

if you need an executeable-file (for mac) - i prefer that you have to:

7. execute "/Developer/.../Tools/Python-2.3-Mac/MakeExec.app" and give give him the file "btdownloadgui.py" - BEFORE THAT YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THE BITTORNADO-FILES (EXECUTE "...../setup.py install")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:29 pm 
look at this first: http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=2306

maybe they people from wxpython-mac have fixed it already in the current release, i dont know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:32 pm 
does this "MakeExec.app" also assign *.torrent to an Bittornado? because this would be great, making files doubleclickable in the Finder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:11 am 
At first:

i have to correct something

2. download and install python for mac os x
3. download and install wxpython for mac os x
5. execute "sudo BitTornado/setup.py install" (in a terminal, root is important)
6. copy BitTornado/*.py to somewhere in $PATH (if you make an executeable, you don't have to do this - this is only for the execution in a terminal)

to use a torrent-file you have to execute (in a terminal) "pythonw btdownloadgui.py file.torrent" for the GUI-Version or "python btdownloadcurses.py file.torrent" for the text-Version

7. execute "/Developer/Applicatins/Utilities/MacPython-2.3/BuildApplet.app" and give give him the file "btdownloadgui.py" - BEFORE THAT YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THE BITTORNADO-FILES (EXECUTE "sudo ...../setup.py install")
8. doubleclick on file.torrent - he asks you to choose the application btdownloadgui.app - check the everytime-box

it is done now

but note the btdownloadgui.app has one disadvantage - you can only execute one torrent at a time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:17 am 
At first:

i have to correct something

2. download and install python for mac os x (http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/)
3. download and install wxpython for mac os x (http://www.wxpython.org)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpy ... -py2.3.dmg
5. execute "sudo BitTornado/setup.py install" (in a terminal, root is important)
6. copy BitTornado/*.py to somewhere in $PATH (if you make an executeable, you don't have to do this - this is only for the execution in a terminal)

7. execute "/Developer/Applicatins/Utilities/MacPython-2.3/BuildApplet.app" and give give him the file "btdownloadgui.py" - BEFORE THAT YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THE BITTORNADO-FILES (EXECUTE "sudo ...../setup.py install")
8. doubleclick on file.torrent - he asks you to choose the application btdownloadgui.app - check the everytime-box

it is done now

but note the btdownloadgui.app has one disadvantage - you can only execute one torrent at a time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:43 pm 
I've downloaded all the files required to use BitTornado on mac. I opened up the setup.py and from there I have no idea what to do. Could anyone explain to an absolute newbie such as myself what to do step by step?

Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:46 pm 
Alrighty I just got it all working tonight and it is fantastic (Can't change the ports on it so just had to change the routers ports) 350dl 100up. I will just clarify some of the rest of the instructions on how I got it

2. download and install python for mac os x (http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/)

3. download and install wxpython for mac os x (http://www.wxpython.org)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpy ... -py2.3.dmg

4. download and unpack bittornado.tar.gz. I placed the BitTornado-CVS folder in my Applications folder

5. In terminal change directories so you are inside BitTornado-CVS and excecute this command "sudo ./setup.py install"

6. Make the changes listed in this site in the btdownloadgui.py file http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/ezml ... lbfjgaehom

7. In finder go to /Developer/Applications/Utilities/MacPython-2.3/BuildApplet.app and select the btdownloadgui.py file from the BitTornado-CVS folder. This will place an app icon where-ever you want it and you can open the program from here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:53 pm 
I followed all the steps mentioned in the guide (including installing MacPython, installing wxPython, the edits in btdownloadgui.py and creating an app) for creating a Mac application. When I double click on the .app file I created, it launches and immediately terminates.

I have no clue about Python. How can I find out what's going wrong and what could I do to correct it?

I'm using Mac OS 10.4.1 (Tiger) and I downloaded the latest compatible versions of MacPython and wxPython.

Thanks for all your help! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:00 pm 
guest wrote:
I followed all the steps mentioned in the guide (including installing MacPython, installing wxPython, the edits in btdownloadgui.py and creating an app) for creating a Mac application. When I double click on the .app file I created, it launches and immediately terminates.

I have no clue about Python. How can I find out what's going wrong and what could I do to correct it?

I'm using Mac OS 10.4.1 (Tiger) and I downloaded the latest compatible versions of MacPython and wxPython.

Thanks for all your help! :)

Ok, to add a little more to my post - I followed the instructions to run the GUI app from the terminal and this is what I see (doesn't matter if I pass a .torrent filename on the command line):

$ pythonw btdownloadgui.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "btdownloadgui.py", line 29, in ?
from BitTornado.ConfigReader import configReader
File "/Applications/BitTornado-CVS/BitTornado/ConfigReader.py", line 40, in ?
_CHECKINGCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxSystemSettings_GetColour(wxSYS_COLOUR_3DSHADOW))
File "/BinaryCache/wxWidgets/wxWidgets-2.root~174/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Extras/lib/python/wx-2.5.3-mac-unicode/wx/_misc.py", line 145, in SystemSettings_GetColour
wx._core.PyNoAppError: The wx.App object must be created first!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:39 pm 
When I get to the sudo ./setup.py install line it says file not found, but when I ls to check if I'm in the right directory, I can see the setup.py right there in the directory. What is going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:29 pm 
trying typing python setup.py instead of ./setup.py

Post subject: newb
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:15 am 
ok lets pretend for a second i don't have a clue what 2 do at stage 1, how do u install and what is 'developer tools'?

Post subject: help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:00 pm 
hi. i'm a noob in comp lang. so i kinda have problems understanding on to change directory. i currently placed my bittornado folder in the desktop(mac) and i cound not change e directory to desktop sucessfully. instead, when i tried, it said that the directory /BitTornado-CVS/setup.py doesn't exist. what could have happened? any help would be greatly appreciated. thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:33 pm 
ok, ive followed all the instructions and now ive gotten to the part where im trying to execute "sudo BitTornado/setup.py install", i do it, and it says password, so i type my password and hit enter, but then it says command not found. i also couldn't figure out how to change the directory, any help?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next