the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:48 pm 
n00B P0n3d wrote:
hi. i'm a noob in comp lang. so i kinda have problems understanding on to change directory. i currently placed my bittornado folder in the desktop(mac) and i cound not change e directory to desktop sucessfully. instead, when i tried, it said that the directory /BitTornado-CVS/setup.py doesn't exist. what could have happened? any help would be greatly appreciated. thx

first execute the command "cd ~/Desktop/BitTornado-CVS/"

ktothef wrote:
ok, ive followed all the instructions and now ive gotten to the part where im trying to execute "sudo BitTornado/setup.py install", i do it, and it says password, so i type my password and hit enter, but then it says command not found. i also couldn't figure out how to change the directory, any help?

you'll need to add the python command.
"sudo python BitTornado/setup.py install"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:08 pm 
1. Do what was mentioned earlier (python BitTornado/setup.py install) etc

2. Given you have the dev tools installed, navigate to BuildApplet and tell it to use btdownloadgui.py

3. Enjoy!

I just got it working and I made a custom icon for it.

Good luck.

AIM: borninbrklyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:13 pm 
Hi,

I have BitTornado on my PC at home and I love it - works great, fast and has a (relatively) simple interface that is (relatively) easy to understand. And installing it to my PC was as simple as double-clicking an executable file...

I have a G4 for travelling and right now have Auzureus on it for D/L torrents. Personally I don't like it nearly as much as BitTornado and would love to get a Mac verson running on my laptop while travelling. I'm not very tech-savvy and just want something simple to use (BitTornado) and ALSO simple to install (Auzureus). After reading all the replies here, it looks like the process for installing BitTornado on OSX is just slightly less complicated than completing a federal tax return for a multi-state corporation with overseas business real-estate holdings...

Any chance of something being created by someone who understands the need for both simplicity in using AND installing something as cool as BitTornado? I would pay $$ for something that works well in both arenas. I don't want to have to learn how to program assembly code in a shell window (or the equivalent), I just want to double-click the install program, wait 20 seconds as it installs and then start downloading torrents like I do on my PC at home.

Just had to vent a bit...

Any ideas that would be helpful will be appreciated!
Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:47 pm 
When i try installing wxpython for mac os x it keeps saying that there are errors and to try again. anyone know how to fix this ?

im using mac osx tiger 10.4

Post subject: Using terminal
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:04 am 
:cry: can someone please tell about the 5th step of installling bittornado.
i do not know how to use terminal at all. when i opened btdownloadgui.py, two Terminal windows popped out. one says bash and the other one i forgot. i dont know what to do next.

Any pointers to how to use this program would be greatly appreciated. :)

Post subject: error on bittornado
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:12 am 
i got an error when i first used bittornado

BitTorrent T-0.3.14 (BitTornado)
Python version: 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)]
wxWindows version: 2.6.1.0

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/Ivan/Documents/Downloads/BitTornado-CVS/btdownloadgui.py", line 476, in onInvoke
apply(event.func, event.args, event.kwargs)
File "/Users/Ivan/Documents/Downloads/BitTornado-CVS/btdownloadgui.py", line 2019, in onChooseFile
if d2 == default:
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xd4 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

can someone solve this problem for me please. i appreciate your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:10 pm 
I can't get past this part.

sudo python BitTornado/setup.py install
python: can't open file 'BitTornado/setup.py'

it aparently can't open it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:53 pm 
nick wrote:
I can't get past this part.

sudo python BitTornado/setup.py install
python: can't open file 'BitTornado/setup.py'

it aparently can't open it.

ok now I have by using sudo python /setup.py install

then I went to buildapplet and selected btdowloadgui.py

and now theres an icon on my desktop where i saved with the same name and I'm not sure what to do with it. I've tried dragging torrents onto it but nothing.

Post subject: Newbie?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:14 pm 
If this help is truly meant for newbies, then maybe you could at least provide the links to all the things that need to be installed, searching google for python OS X gives me 20 millions different possible downloads to choose from...

And it would also be nice to explain thing a little more thoroughly instead of things like: "somewhere in $PATH" I'm sure it's obvious for you what "$PATH" is but for me, a newbie (the intended target audience), besides the fact that it's some sort of variable, I have no idea. And not knowing its context I can't even search for info about it...

If you think my rant is unjustified, then you might consider renaming your thread to something that doesn't include the word "newbie."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:24 pm 
"6. Make the changes listed in this site in the btdownloadgui.py file http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/ezml ... lbfjgaehom"

You seriously expect a "newbie" to have any idea on how to make the changes listed on there? How about giving us a list of what to copy/paste and where?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:30 pm 
ok, I finally figured everything out, where to download, how to install, what to replace, how to create the app... and when I double click it it starts up and quit. Great... What a waste of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:26 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
ok, I finally figured everything out, where to download, how to install, what to replace, how to create the app... and when I double click it it starts up and quit. Great... What a waste of time.

You are such a whiny jerk. This is tough stuff, but should the fine folks here also touch on how to use a mouse, how to turn on your machine, etc.?? If you can't be nice asking for further help, get real no one will want to help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:54 pm 
I recently moved from XP to Mac and was wondering if someone could post a step by step installation guide because I don't understand the one that is here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:01 am 
hi

I have downloaded most of the steps and entered the command in my terminal and then it asks for my Password, but I don't know where it is, can someone please help me.
I am using OSX Panther

Ta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:43 am 

im utterly confused as well. im trying to figure out whether python is a real software, which i couldnt find any on apple site. anyhow, if people could be more specific on each step and perhaps even have links to each, that would be awesome.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next