the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:52 am 
As i want to have my 2 pc's behind tight firewalls, ive condiered using my old computer just for downloading/file serving

i dont have a monitor for it.. my specs

Netgear RP614v2 router/NAT/4-port 10/100 switch
2 pc's XP pro, and XP home.. SP2

proposed comp specs

98SE fresh install, all updates
1ghz Celeron (skt370)
128mb PC100
~5gb OS disk, 20gb storage disk, 5400rpm
onboard 10/100 Ethernet

I need to have FULL access to it from the two other computers on the network, and somehow control it remotely, so i wont need to connect anything to it.. possibly LAN wakeup too.. is there any software for this?

Is it worth it/feasible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:44 am 
You can use VNC software to remote admin any PC. Set up the server on the dedicated downloaded, and run the client on another machine. PCs wont boot without a keyboard, so dont leave the machine entirely headless if you want it to come back on its own after a glitch. Theres nothing like coming back fro holiday, expecting X gigs to have downloaded, and find its been sitting at 'No keyboard detected, press F1 to continue' for a week and a half. A monitor will only be needed while your setting it up, it'll boot without one.

Im not sure on how you'll get a network share through your firewall without leaving a big hole in it. Might be simplest to set up an FTP server on it and transfer files through that.

No idea on LAN wakeup, its not something I use. Either its on when I tell it to be on directly, or its on 24/7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:11 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Im not sure on how you'll get a network share through your firewall without leaving a big hole in it. Might be simplest to set up an FTP server on it and transfer files through that.

DMZ maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:04 am 
pc will boot without keyboard (and anything else except bare minimum for that matter) if you set "halt on: no errors" in bios. if windows would agree to boot is another matter. but using windows 98 for dedicated filesharing is probably not the best solution anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]