the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:48 pm 
All of them. Every single torrent file I open has said this ever since I upgraded to bittornado 0.2.0, doesn't matter which tracker. Steps I took: uninstalled previous version. installed new version. Shadow's client is the only bittorent client to touch my win2k os. What went wrong? I see no other network problems anywhere else whatsoever, and the previous version worked fine.

1 more thing: does bittornado handle gzip? I tried downloading something from a tracker that wouldn't allow this client access because it claimed it didn't handle gzip, which is why I looked for a newer version in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:53 pm 

Are you running any software firewalls?

Does your ISP have you behind a transparent proxy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:29 pm 
Yeah byte, I'm running NPF and sitting behind a nat. No proxy from isp. None of the above should matter though, I know what I'm doing in terms of routing. I have bt ports forwarded at the router, and... !ding! *lightbulb* you know what, I forgot to renew the executable in NPF. I didn't even think of it since the filename was the same and in the same location as the previous version, but the different filesize must have triggered a block.

I just re-registered the executable and bits are flowing. Thanks for the suggestion, I knew it had to be something stupid/obvious.

I would still like to know about the gzip thing, some of the tighter anti-leech servers are starting to check for it... if not this client then which one? I have never heard of it as a requirement besides stable ratio posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:42 pm 

BitTornado supports gzipped tracker communication. Sometimes when a site claims you don't support gzip when the client does it is because you are behind a transparent proxy of some sort that isn't doing something right. Are the trackers you are having trouble with only on port 80?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:49 pm 
No, I think they're using the default 6969. I checked around and I think it might just be some sort of client id that they haven't approved on their list yet. I know shadow's is on there, but maybe its just the last two versions that they haven't updated yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:49 pm 

hmm. I found an old post that says it is their Norton Firewall or Norton Internet Security causing problems with gzip-based tracker communication here:
http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?p=541#541

They said disabling norton firewall temporarily when bittornado initially connects to the tracker works for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:57 pm 
Heh! It was NPF... again... stupid firewall always causing trouble. I took it down while it connected and got through. I wonder what sort of conflict it would have with gzip announce. Shouldn't gzip be a registered mime extension???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:56 am 
Although it does work initially, I don't know if this works for later auto/manual announces. I am seeing connections drop off, but not picking up any more later on a fairly popular torrent. Can anyone else suggest a better workaround? Other than taking down the firewall? As I have given full permission to this program in NPF it really doesn't make sense to me that I would have to disable it at all in the first place. This NPF really sucks... has anyone tried running bittorent with another app like Tiny Personal Firewall or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:12 pm 

Also, it might be helpful to know that Norton Personal Firewall that is unpatched can make you vulnerable to other attacks. So much for it "protecting" the user when it adds more ways someone can attack you.

Visit symantec's own page for more info and how to patch:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... 05.12.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:49 am 

How can you tell if the tracker is on port 80 or on port 6969?

I am guessing that the ones that run like crap for me must be on port 80 and the ones that work must be on 6969, but it would be nice to be able to confirm that

Cheers

Juice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:01 am 

Click "Details" then look at the tracker URL.

It would look like:
http://tracker.somesite.com/announce

If you see something after the domain name ("tracker.somesite.com") and before the "/" like:
http://tracker.somesite.com:6969/announce
Then what is between the ":" and the "/" is the port number the tracker is on. In this example, "6969" is between the ":" and the "/" so port 6969 is the tracker's port number.

If the tracker URL specifies no port number such as:
http://tracker.somesite.com/announce
then it is on the default HTTP port which is port 80.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]