the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:13 pm 

I've recently learned how to use the BitTorrent T-0.3.17 (BitTornado) program, and am going through all the growing pains to get faster download/upload speeds.

I'm on a DSL connection, presently hooked direct (no router) through Speedstream 4200 modem. Windows XP SP2.

From FAQs, articles and various forums I figured out how to open the ports 6881-6889 in the XP firewall.

Then I figured out how to unlock my modem (Bell firmware), and access the port forwarding section. Now I'm confused as to which IP address to use.

During all the experimentation, I noticed the modem (or Bell?) assigns me a different IP address - how often I am not sure. So what IP address do I use to re-direct my ports to? I tried 127.0.0.1 for local machine, but when I hit apply the IP address changed to "this router". Is this right?

Do I need to create a static IP address or something?

I found the manual for the unit but the answer was about as clear as mud - I can't seem to add the link here.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
LIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:35 pm 

The modem/router assigns you an IP address via DHCP. You'll tend to be on the same IP address for extended periods if you can keep your computer on and not reboot and stuff, but going the route of a static IP address really will make your life easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:41 pm 

Ok, thanks - perhaps that was the reason for the last IP change - I did a reboot after an update.

So, how do I give myself a static IP address, and what should I choose as one? Do I do that through Network Connections or throught the modem?

If I go that route, will I cause myself any problems accessing the internet? If I'm on Bell DSL, does the provider require a dynamic IP, or does it matter?

Thanks for the reply,
LIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 am 

hi here's a useful link on how to configure portforwarding

computerticket.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-configure-port-forwarding.html

Good Luck!!!

:)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]