the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:29 pm 
OK I don't want to discount anyone's solution here but how can this have anything to do with zonealarm when I am having this problem and have never installed zone alarm?

Anyone?

Post subject: sane
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:57 pm 
sanwe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:58 pm 
So what if i just uninstall this particluar windows update..? lemme try now... i'm having the same prob also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:27 pm 
my gf's comp does this when it disconnects from the 'net.. seems that the entire tcp/ip stack freezes, so even searching for network drives will lock a process. she can still open certain programs, but most won't work...

I've also had a problem with my billion 7100 adsl modem, but I don't think its isolated to this model/brand.. if there's vast numbers of connections made that the NAT filter must track, it'll stop working because its memory fills... normally happens if you're on a large p2p network, or if you have a spam trojan. this would have symptoms of LAN appearing fine, but no net...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:33 pm 
Ive had another freeze and had to restart to get my connection working, ive successfully uninstalled zone alarm and everything was fine up to now

so its either some bastard hacker thingin he's hard or Windows Update screwing around or it cud be a bit of zone alarm still on my computer

but since some people have this problem wen they don't have zone alarm i think i may cross that one off the list of problems.

still worried about takin off this update as it says its a critical update, also it may be thinking BT is a hacker gaining access to a XP feature so it takes off the internet, does anyone know exactly wot this update does?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:40 pm 
Using the stable release T-0.2.0.

My torrents become unresponsive within an hour. MSN drops connection and I have to release/renew my IP to regain connectivity.

Initially had about 4 torrents open but I get the same behaviour with a single torrent.

Using pre-allocation had no affect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:36 am 
I uninstalled ZA and my problem was fixed, however when investigating it, I found that people using a Linksys modem or router were experienceing similar problems, and you need to upgrade the firmware or drivers. Hope that helps some of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:05 am 
Deinstalled ZoneAlarm, all worries vanished. Running Agnitum Outpost Firewall, which is as good if not better than ZoneAlarm, now. Give it a try, you might wake up thinking "wow, why did I use ZoneAlarm in the first place" ;-) Somehow ZoneAlarm keeps getting more buggy and annoying from version to version...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:12 am 
I have never installed Zone Alarm but I do have the windows update, and by internet connection is very stable. All my downloads (and uploads) are fine.

Post subject: Add me to the list
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:36 am 
I've had this bug so well described above, without updating Windows at all - this is a fresh machine with SP1 and nothing newer yet, and the problem reappeared for me. Using Original BT client, ABC and Azureus, all current versions. Started about mid-June I recall, prolly around the same date as this thread!

I am trying to replace ZA5 now.

Guest - in reference to your comment espousing Agnitum Outpost - have you checked it here?
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:41 pm 
The problem only appears when the bittorrent ports 6881 etc. are open.

It doesn't matter if you run zonealarm or sygate - if they are open the network will freeze after anything from 5 seconds to an hour later. Any program you try after that will probably get the hourglass and the Not Responding message in task manager. They cannot be terminated either, so it's probably some kind of lockup in the network drivers or related software (firewall etc.). It usually goes away after a few minutes, but can take up to 10-15 minutes, or it might even cause the machine to restart. Of course, after it goes away it will just as easily freeze again.

If I set up a rule to block the ports in sygate, the problem disappears. No freeze what so ever. And of course, not as many connections either, since it will not accept incoming connections from other clients (Yellow LED).

All clients seem to be affected, even bram's original.

I don't know if it is the firewalls themselves or a windows update that caused it. I don't dare running without a firewall, but feel free to experiement.

Hideki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:28 pm 
i dont have zone alarm or any other firewall and never have, but i get this problem all the time. i cna usually fix it by reseting my cable modem and endtasking bittorrent. windows is up to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:58 am 
Quote:
The security update that is documented in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-015 does not install correctly if the Help and Support service is disabled

Read Here ..might be the answer but then again maybe not..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:10 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
..might be the answer but then again maybe not..?
Help and Support service is not disabled on my machine, so the update should have worked correctly, yet I have the download problem, so it must be another issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:53 pm 
I use bittornado 0.2.0 ive also had problems with the program freezing and almost closing my system down.At first i thought it was zone alarm pro 5 ,so i got rid of it and installed Outpost,still the same problem !
then i uninstalled the microsoft update KB840374 (OOPS) TOTAL SYSTEM CRASH...Back to square one !,So i did a check on the firewall tcp refused connections Woah i have had 39 refused connections to port 6881 !,I looked at the times these were recieved and i wasnt running bittornado on the date and times listed.any ideas ?, I also read somewhere that bittornado can be crashed using (DoS) commands ect to this port ? Is this true ? Any ideas help ect would be most welcome..
Yours
.... LiFeS2ShOrT....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next