the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:39 am 

Email report I received:

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but my torrents started freezing (and I
lose my internet connection) the day after I
downloaded kb840374 from Windows Update (Tues. May 11). It's a patch for
the help & support service in Windows.

Last week I switched to Bit Tornado for the first time. After 2 disconnects
the first day (unplugging my cable modem for a minute always re-establishes
the connection and the torrents become active again) I changed some settings
and than went an entire week with no problems even with 4 torrents open,
which is when the freeze/disconnect usually has occurred.

Unfortunately it suddenly started happening again yesterday (3 times in the
last day).

After reading all the comments in the major problems forum I tried to think
of something that people with this and similar problems have in common,
besides Windows. That's when I checked the date of the last Windows Update
patches.

Could this "bug" be caused by something we all may have downloaded?

I have no expertise in this subject, just intuition and experience, so I
just disabled help & support and I may uninstall the patch next.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this.
Richard

If someone else could look into this I'd appreciate it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:22 pm 

check if it isn't a virus causing your modem to hang up. start -> run -> command and then netstat -n should give you a number of connections. If it's unnaturally high (with no programs using internet connection open it should be zero) then it might be a virus or spyware of some sort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:36 pm 
I have installed this update and I have no problems so far.

More information:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 840374
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-015
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 841996 (Known issues with KB840374)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:26 am 
Are you using ZoneAlarm firewall?

I had a problem with the latest ZoneAlarm firewall causing my computer to pause or freeze and my network connection to spurt when I would use BitTorrent-It didn?t matter if I used BitTorando or Azureus. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and the problem stopped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:22 am 
Well, the freezing occurs in beta SP2 builds as well, so it's an issue that'll have to be dealt with at some point or another

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:42 pm 
This is interesting ..... If the Windows Update KB 840374 is responsible for the freezing it may explain why going back to earlier Shadow releases will no longer work for some peoople. The problem is that KB 840374 is a Critical Update so uninstalling it could make your system vunerable if you use the Help & Support Service. The obvious question is did anyone experience freezing PRIOR to installing this update, if so, ...... then it can't be the update.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:01 am 
Well this thread seems to have solved my problem. I was still getting freezes even with the latest release of BitTornado-0.3.2. I don't use the
Windows Help & Support Service so I disabled it and uninstalled Windows Update KB 840374. Next I did a clean install of BitTornado-0.3.2 and
set everything to default (max peer connections = no limit). Then loaded 3 torrents simultaneously (TV episodes) and let them run overnight, they
all completed OK with no freezing, this was not possible before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:54 pm 
Hi. Ive used shadows for some time. I recently brought a new pc, athlon 64 processor all the bells and whistles. First off after clean installing, I did *every* available windows update. So I cant say if it was or would of been ok before, but Im getting disconnections.

I have normal 2mb adsl connection over copper line. If had the telecoms people out to these disconnects twice so far thinking something was wrong with my connection. I get a complete disconnect of my internet connection, then within a few seconds, the modem can redial and conect succesfully without any problems.

At first I thought it might be my usb adsl modem, so I went out and brought a new wireless router, but the problem still remained. Anything from an hour to a few hours, it would disconnect, and repeat.

Well, last night I closed all torrents, and left just my pc running as usual. It went almost 24 hours without a disconnect, so I kicked up a couple of torrents and bang, within 30 mins, a disconnect. Ive now turned off the torrents and I'll check again in about 8 hours if I have another.

Im pretty sure now that bit torrents or this client is causing my discconnects. The funny thing is, since this first started happening a few weeks ago, its gotten worse. It was only one or two a day, but now its more like 10 a day, which is really strange becuase I have applied no updates or changed the client in anyway, except for altering the port range to allow me to use a certain tracker?? Dunno if that means anything to you?

Also, I have no freezing.. I used to on my old pc with torrents that were open for a long time, or having several torrents open, I think this was a memory issue, as my pagefile used to goto like 2gb while they were open and drop once the torrents were closed.

If I dont get a disconnect in the next 8 hours, I'll try a different client, and see what happens then.

Very wierd by all accounts wouldnt you say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:00 pm 
I've got Windows XP installed but do not have the KB 840374 installed. I believe it might be zonealarm 5.0 that is causing the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:51 pm 
This error happens with me on 2 computers.

one has this update, the other doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:57 pm 
Ive been dealing with this problem for the past week or so. It happens at random times but it happens all the time I have torrents up. I will lose my net connection and it will partially freeze up my computer.
When the problem occurs, I see that I have 0 kb upload and download. Also my computer freezes up in a weird way. I can still move the cursor, move any active windows and bring up my taskbar. However, when I try to launch an application, I get the hourglass icon and thats it. I dont see any HD activity. Sometimes it take anywhere from a minute to 15 minutes for the application to finally come up. The same goes with the Task Manager( hitting ctrl-alt-delete). If i disconnect my network cable, my computer becomes responsive again after a few seconds.
This problem has been driving me up the wall. I reinstalled twice, swapped components and even got a new motherboard.

Running right now:
Athlon XP 2600
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 nforce2 chipset
1 gb ddr 2700 ram

All drivers are running their current drivers and Windows XP is fully updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:04 pm 
That is the exact same problem I am having, perfect description of it.
Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get the task manager up (CTRL+ALT+DEL) but this is usually pointless as it can't seem to even end a process (such as BT which seems to reside in memory when this happens) until the whole computer responds normally again, which makes ending the process pointless anyway.
I have noticed this same problem with versions 0.3.2 and 0.2.0 of the shadows clients, but ONLY recently, before 0.2.0 worked flawlesly and it's only been the past couple of weeks this problem has appeared.
Also, I get the same problem with sepereate clients, I have tried ABP and Azureus and get the same problem.
I DID have ZA 5 installed before and it was shortly after I installed it that the problem happened, however I have since downgraded to 4.5 and still the problem remains, even when I shutdown the Firewall so I don't know if it's truly the cause or not. I've read that using pre-allocation mode may fix the problem, I'm testing that out now I'll report back my findings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:35 am 
Well, using pre-allocation mode didn't help, still got the freeze....
I'm gonna try the official client, nobody seems to have tried it yet, in theory if it has the error then most clients would have it and it's a problem there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:21 am 
I've been using the shad0w's client instead of the newer BitTornado cuz the name sounds gay.. but anyway besides that I also have the update and I think around that time my torrents would get to like 250 KBs and then it would freeze, my internet wouldn't stop though i'd still be able to goto sites while the torrent is frozen, the numbers showing upload/download and percent and all that won't move, but i would have to restart the torrent and sometimes if i make it start downloading from 34% and then it freezes at 78%, when i restart it'll be around 50%... only problem i'm seeing it with is the BitTornado/shad0ws/Official Clients, right now im on Azuerus but i'd love to use shad0ws again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:22 am 
OK, I have the original BitTorrent (latest ver) on one of my PC's - WIN XP PRO.

And bit tornado (latest ver) on my other machine WIN XP PRO

The BTorrent machine was d/l and u/l fine 4 weeks ago when I unplugged it to move. I plugged it back in when my other machine (bTornado) started with the problem we all seem to be having. Started sometime last week.

Plugged in bTorrent machine that was workign fine when I unplugged it and now that machine has same problem as the other (bTornado).

One machine has the KB840374 and one machine doesn't.

The weird part is that I changed nothing on the bTorrent machine (not even plugged in) and now it is not working.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next