the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:03 pm 
Ryusei, have you tested this out on large torrents? My system doesnt suffer unless I am downloading huge files and/or many simultaneous torrents.

Post subject: Memory Usage under Linux
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:22 am 
Hi,

I'm using Bittornad 0.3.8 on Linux with ncurses interface.
The Ram usage when downloading large Torrents is permanently increasing.

There are two 5.4GB Torrent files and the mem usage is starting with 70MB. But over 1 or 2 days it's growing over 200MB, only restarting the client helps.

Also removing the two Torrent files does not change the memory usage.

Thanks for the Help and the cool client,
Olli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:30 am 
Ryusei wrote:
Believe I found a solution for the XP users with large amounts of RAM 256-512 +. Do this Now!
Memory Management: Kernel Paging and Cache Tuning

LargeSystemCache modification causes the OS to store data read from disk in RAM. It means that the OS is always using the optimum amount of RAM instead of leaving it untouched for future use that may or may not occur. Without this part of the tweak, 200MB or more of RAM in a typical 512MB machine goes completely unused. *Remember all the free mem we have? instead of sitting around it will be set for system/program use.

DisablePagingExecutive, cause the OS to cache the OS Kernel and its entourage to RAM instead of to disk, which makes XP far more responsive. *Another use for idle RAM

Start regedit and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Add these two lines, save the changes and reboot;

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

On my Win XP Pro with 512 MB RAM, now all the memory doesn’t gradually leak away to the torrents. My system quite responsive because the memory is now tuned for caching and program performance Just a hypothesis but RAM certainly more optimized.

=)

This sure helps alot .
The lines where already there but both at dword 0
Changed it to dword 1 like you said , didn't reboot and let BT running , and it already is a improvement .
Thank you very much for the great tip .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:40 am 
Thanks for the tip but it doesn't work for me. I even rebooted after making the reg change but I'm still seeing BT leaking all my memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:22 am 
TheSHADOW has there been any progress on this issue? I'm still seeing mad memory leakage even with the newest build.

I noticed in another thread you told a person that McAfee might be causing problems... I assume you were talking about the antivirus? I have McAfee 9.0 on here... do you think that is causing the problems? I just reformatted this machine and the only things I've done is the WinXP updates (as of December 17) DirectX 9.0c, installed McAfee AntiVirus 9.0, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, WindowBlinds and Ad-Aware SE Personal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:26 am 

I don't know if McAfee would be causing the problem. What's going on seems to be a problem between Python and Windows, where allocated spaces aren't being released as deftly as they ought to be. This isn't really something I can fix; I've tried sidestepping the problem, and gotten a bit of success, but not as much as I'd prefer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:32 am 

I'm having the same RAM problems as everyone else. I don't remember having this problem in the past. If I did, it wasn't nearly this severe. One torrent open and my RAM is down to 10~50 MB withing ten minutes. Having this problem with BitTornado, BT++, and ABC. Seems to be all the Python programs, as a few others have stated. Don't have this problem with Azureus. Of course, Azureus has its own problems. Bleh. I wish BitTornado would just work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:03 pm 
Same here... I didn't used to have the problem with earlier builds, so I tried uninstalling and going back to 0.2.0. and then TheSHADOW's experimental... Weird thing is, even those are giving me the memory leak now.

Only thing I can think of is that one or more of the Windows Updates is incompatible with Python. Wish there was a way to pinpoint which one(s) though. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:38 pm 
Hi,
perhaps it's is related to this:
My btdownloadgui.exe keeps running and using RAM after quitting the client. I have to kill it via taskmanager.

Using BitTornado 0.3.9 @ Win. XP Prof. (default system settings)

Athlon XP 2000+
512 MB DDR333 RAM

I didn't have this problem with 0.3.7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:37 am 
zYk, that's a separate issue, and TheSHADOW is already aware of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:04 pm 
i just moved and got new dsl line about a mile from my old house same isp -sbc, different modem. Before i could run as many torrents as i wanted now it crashes and restarts after a while. Next i try comcast and maybe better luck with cable. How does one check memory use?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:04 pm 
when minimized to system tray is checked in 3.9, btdownloadgui.exe does not exit properly. the program stays in memory(in the task manager in windows xp sp2) EVEN AFTER you closed it by right clicking on the bt systray icon and clicking close OR by clicking on the X. I did not have this problem with 3.8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:52 am 
switched to my old Two Wire Home portal modem -problem solved-unfortunatly i show uo asfirewalled now

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:51 am 
Guest wrote:
when minimized to system tray is checked in 3.9, btdownloadgui.exe does not exit properly. the program stays in memory(in the task manager in windows xp sp2) EVEN AFTER you closed it by right clicking on the bt systray icon and clicking close OR by clicking on the X. I did not have this problem with 3.8.

yeap, same problem faced here on a win2ksp4 box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:33 pm 
Is it just me? running 1 torrent, and is eating up all my memory less then 50mb free after 10 min. Even my Internet Explorer doesn't function properly anymore!!!

Didn't have this problem with Bitcomet!!! This BITES

:| :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next