the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Try this out...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:31 pm 

Try disabling read\write buffer and using Cacheman or CachemanXP to manage your memory ( http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_cha ... oduct&id=7 ).

The problem is when it buffers, it overflows your RAM with the .torrent segments, in turn making it access your HD even more than if it was just off due to the Windows swap file. Make sure you also set your Windows swap file to an exact size (instead of letting Windows handle it). That way it won't try to shrink or grow when it's needed. You just sacrafice the HD space.

Don't feel bad Shadow, Windows is the real memory leak :)

bmxtiger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:36 am 
Actually it's not windows that is causing the memory leak. If that were true, all bittorrent clients would have this issue with the memory leak. It's only the ones written in shitty Python that leak.

Post subject: 3.10 ver
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:40 am 
After clicking finish bittorrent is not terminating itself correctly. I'll get a 27mb or whatever task that has to be manually closed. I've seen this issue mentioned a few times through this thread but I haven't seen any workaround or plans to correct it--are there?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:46 am 
PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
17 0 1388m 847m 1360 D 1.0 84.6 104:36.10 btdownloadgui.py

Basically the total memory usage = VIRT + RES

So, that is 2.2GB of memory!! pretty much all of it.

This is after letting a 7+ GB torrent of files download for a few hours.

It is definately a memory leak, but it may not be bittornado's fault, it could be triggering a bug in python...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:50 am 
I was just wondering, how come BitComet, which also has Disk Chache, uses way less memory. If they managed, I'm sure it cant be that difficult. I have noticed, that sometimes when it starts up, it take 60 MB memory straight up, and that is the max size I've given for disk cache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:05 pm 
just in case you guys haven't read anything, or are too focused on other things, it's not the amount of ram that the program takes that's the issue. it's how bad the buffering, and ram access can get.

i want to clarify 2 things.

1. Having a lot of connections to your computer will always, in any instances, increase cpu and ram needs from the program, any program. every connection to your computer will use your cpu and ram. the more the connections, the more ressources will be taken.

2. Ram fragmentation, resizing of the swap file, and access to the swap file is what is slowing things down. if Bittornado takes 60 megs of ram, that is normal.

to get better performance, make windows not manage the swap file. set it at 768 megs, that should be plenty. and also, untick the 'Enable read/write buffering' in the Bittornado preferences.

note: not letting windows manage your swap file might cause programs not to respond, if the swap file usage is high. If you play a lot of big games like 3d shooters, racing sims and rpgs, you might not want to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:41 pm 
what a bunch of bull. what the hell happened to the special version?

Post subject: Re: 3.10 ver
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:34 am 
kms wrote:
After clicking finish bittorrent is not terminating itself correctly. I'll get a 27mb or whatever task that has to be manually closed. I've seen this issue mentioned a few times through this thread but I haven't seen any workaround or plans to correct it--are there?

i using win98 also having same problem, i suggest u alt-ctrl-del then see
then close the bitdownloadGui Twice to endtask :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:08 am 
I have Win2k 768MB ram and after unticking enable read/write buffering i somehow get more ram used.
Im DLing 1 file and ram usage is approx 43MB.Its usually 25MB.
Using version 3.7
Im not using ram opt tool yet, so i gues its ok.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:52 pm 
every time i use the new 312 it creates a error message when shuting 312 :cry:
it does the same thing on both my computers...hope 313 will be lucky :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:22 pm 
You need 1gb of ram mimimum and a 2ghz machine to use Bittornado.
you be crawling like a turtle anything slow.
have you tried using it on a pentium 100mhz? god that thing was so slow I swear it's like 1mhz machine vs what we have today.

It's pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:54 pm 
I've been using tornado on, like 10 torrents at a time for weeks without memory bloat under linux.

I doubt it would be a bug in Python. Python works (unlike azureus which didn't even start on my machine, java haha). I'd bet on memory fragmentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:54 pm 
This may be for this topic, or it may be a different problem altogether. I don't know enough to judge.

I run BitTottent for about 20 minutes amd then my CPU usage figure goes up suddenly to 100% and everything comes to a standstill. I am still able to click on the Cancel button, and when I do so, all reverts back to normal.

When this last happened, I noted the amount downloaded from the title bar before cancelling. It was 41.94Mb, and my free RAM was 122Mb. When I re-started BitTorrent, the message "Checking existing data" appeared and, when it had finished, my free RAM was 256Kb and the amount downloaded was shown as 32Mb. Now, I have a slow download speed and to lose 10Mb of data each time this happens is something I can't afford. The Total Downloded shown in the main body of the window is 98.6Mb, so have I lost a total of 66Mb since I started the torrent?

I have pre-allocated my files and set a large amount of Virtual Memory to prevent Swapfile problems. Is this a new problem, and does anyone have a remedy?

I am running Windows ME on a Pentium 4 1.8Ghz machine with 512Mb Ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:00 pm 
In previous post I, of course, meant I'm running tornado, not BitTorrent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:36 pm 
Depending on the type of files you were downloading, it might be your anti-virus or anti-spyware or whatever that is causing high CPU usage. I know that when I had Norton antivirus 2004 on my computer, it would constantly be checking the files as they were downloading, and would pretty much make my computer unusable. There are usually settings that you can check to see what kind of files are scanned automatically. Unless it is some type of executable, it probably doesn't need to be checked while it's downloading, just when you try to open it.

But that might not have anything to do with your particular case. It could be another program that is interfering, or it could be BitTornado itself, or it could be your operating system... I don't have much experience with windows ME since I found it to be a nightmare to keep running stable. It seemed like any little change I made could potentially get it to blue screen :? Or, it could be hardware related... there are so many things that could be causing it, and the only way to find out is process of elimination. :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next