the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: i dont' think so
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:31 am 
My PC is definatly not under powered. and i'm having real memory leak problems.

Anonymous wrote:
Just wondering, but could this memory leak be due to an underpowered PC? I have noticed that on my main PC which has a 500W power supply, and 1 GB RAM, I never have the memory leak. But on my other computer which is a Dell with the regular 250W power supply and 512 MB RAM, the memory all gets cached up rapidly, causing system slowdown.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:35 am 
PANDA wrote:
i'm currently running on a intel p4 3.6ghz w/ 1024mb ddr ram. (Winodows Xp Pro) on the task manger it says the torrents windows are eatting about say about 30ish.

Just as a note, pretty much anything that uses wxPython is going to use ~20MB or so per window because of its overhead.

It's kind of sad that a full-blown wxPython application will use about as much memory as one that does nothing but pop up "hello world", but such is the way it is. The benefit, though, is that other than that initial 20MB used, wxPython is pretty great to work with.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:35 pm 
I find using an app that runs in the background to free up memory on a periodic basis does the trick..I personally use cpucool... I get retarded memory leaks (20MB/minute) and using cpucool allows my computer to function without slowdown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:08 am 
Anonymous wrote:
I wonder if this memory leak issue has something to do with BT being written in Python? Every client that is written in Python seems to drain my system.

I just tried BitComet which is written in C++ and it has no memory leak issues at all. This is with 10 torrents going at once! The program itself uses more memory than BitTornado, but there are no leaks, so no system slowdown. However, Bittornado seems to be faster.

Thanks! I tried bitcomet after seeing that and it's working great. No memory leak or anything. This is weird because I also have been having problems with all of the other bittorrent clients.

Post subject: RAM Usage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:13 pm 
I use memory mangement software called "Maxmem" from analogx.com to forcefully free my ram to any %age i need cuz BT really uses it up. Nice lightweight app some of you might have heard of it. During and after this process your pc may slow down but i have a shortcut I made on my desktop to clean up idle processing tasks, it really frees u your pc after that. Here's what I used...

%windir%\System32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

This is on winxp pro sp1. It helps me deal with mem probs for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:10 pm 
I'm using 0.2.0

Torrents start out at around 25-35mb. Running 4 at a time, and after a couple days, they are each using about 50-80. That's with about 20-25 peers for each torrent.

I'm not complaining though! Just an FYI for comparisons sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:49 am 
I just upgraded BT0.2.0 to BT0.3.8 and the first time I tried seeding a torrent, my available memory dropped from around 400M to between 9M-100M, usually hovering around 30M. The memory did not appear to be freed after the hash checking finished. After shutting down BT and restarting, BT took a more reasonable amount of memory (I had about 350M available).

However, with two torrents running (a seed, the other a leech), I appear to be slowly losing memory. When I first started the second torrent, I had a little over 300M of memory available. In the past 10 minutes or so, I've gone down to about 240MB. I haven't opened any other programs since starting BT.

I have a Dell Dimension, 512MB, P4 2.8 GHz, XP Home SP 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:55 pm 
bitcomet doesnt work well for me, neither does azureus
has this problem been fixed yet and is it better to use older versions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:53 am 
Yup BitComet does not work well here too because the upload limiter isnt working very well. Azureus has a shitty core. Bit Tornado Core is 15 times better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:15 pm 
Just upgraded to 0.3.8 now have major memory leaks, 300megs plus worse than 0.3.4 with 1 seed and 1dl. I have always used Tornado or the one before it, this is definately the worst memory issue I have had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:14 am 
Im haveing Problem w/ Slow pc response when im D/l something useing BT 0.3.8 :!:

Post subject: comp caca !!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:12 am 
My comp used to work great.. and i was glad cus i had warranty at the time.. and my processor used to run on a diff mobo.. a soyo .. forgot which one .. but anyways..
something happened because after months of nothing being wrong...
when i woke up one day after a night of downloading .. my comp gave me some weird errors.. basically it could not find my OS system (i use win2k)
so afterwards i was like ok . what now... and i reformatted my comp only to get tha same errors a few days down the road.. and ever since then i dont use it to download anything because i have gotten blue screens of death (Had to do with my IRQ settings.. at least thats what the error was when i looked it up.. IRQ not less or equal to) or my comp will shut off out of the blue.
so i think my processor is screwed up.. i wish i knew of a way to check it.. or test my mobo settings .. and i do happen to play games and what not ..
and they seem to work just fine. no restarting of the sort when i play them .. which leaves me to believe i either have a memory prob or a CPU prob.. since i swapped out my mobo's already...i know little on how a CPU takes in fileswapping or what not like huge chunks or what not.. but i think that has something to do with it
and tried installin win 2k on a seperate HD..
i have not installed firewalls to test if that was it.... and i know how ot configure them .. so thats not tha prob..
so if anyone has a clue.. lettme know thanks

or could someone recommend some settings i should try and test ....
not sure what im lookin for in the options.. thanks..

stats
win 2k pro
+2400 athlon xp thoroughbred (FSB @ 266 Mhz)
512 DDR ram (Patriot)
mobo - Albatron KX600 Pro ver 1.06
HD's - 60 gig Western Digital + 160 Gig Hitachi
ATI 9600 Pro
*** i do use zone alarm Pro ver 4.5.594.000 cus i know ver 5 made my comp crash and no im not behind a firewall..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:53 am 
Krazystick - go make a new thread about your problem. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:27 pm 
BaenSidhe wrote:
I just upgraded BT0.2.0 to BT0.3.8 and the first time I tried seeding a torrent, my available memory dropped from around 400M to between 9M-100M, usually hovering around 30M. The memory did not appear to be freed after the hash checking finished. After shutting down BT and restarting, BT took a more reasonable amount of memory (I had about 350M available).

However, with two torrents running (a seed, the other a leech), I appear to be slowly losing memory. When I first started the second torrent, I had a little over 300M of memory available. In the past 10 minutes or so, I've gone down to about 240MB. I haven't opened any other programs since starting BT.

I have a Dell Dimension, 512MB, P4 2.8 GHz, XP Home SP 1.

In Win XP Pro, Athlon, 512 MB memory. Resuming 1 4 GB torrent I've watched my Available memory in task manager gradually reduce from a high of 344 mb on startup to 50 mb^^ ~ 15 minutes later. Is this memory behavior less worse in prior versions of Tornado? If so how may I downgrade.

Also, have some people tried some of the Shadow's suggestions on the first page? like disabling disk buffering. What has worked for you guys, please share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:46 am 

Believe I found a solution for the XP users with large amounts of RAM 256-512 +. Do this Now!
Memory Management: Kernel Paging and Cache Tuning

LargeSystemCache modification causes the OS to store data read from disk in RAM. It means that the OS is always using the optimum amount of RAM instead of leaving it untouched for future use that may or may not occur. Without this part of the tweak, 200MB or more of RAM in a typical 512MB machine goes completely unused. *Remember all the free mem we have? instead of sitting around it will be set for system/program use.

DisablePagingExecutive, cause the OS to cache the OS Kernel and its entourage to RAM instead of to disk, which makes XP far more responsive. *Another use for idle RAM

Start regedit and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Add these two lines, save the changes and reboot;

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

On my Win XP Pro with 512 MB RAM, now all the memory doesn’t gradually leak away to the torrents. My system quite responsive because the memory is now tuned for caching and program performance Just a hypothesis but RAM certainly more optimized.

=)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next