the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:44 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:47 am 
I wonder if this memory leak issue has something to do with BT being written in Python? Every client that is written in Python seems to drain my system.

I just tried BitComet which is written in C++ and it has no memory leak issues at all. This is with 10 torrents going at once! The program itself uses more memory than BitTornado, but there are no leaks, so no system slowdown. However, Bittornado seems to be faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:05 pm 
Running 3.7.0 the memory consumtion is quite high:
30 MB for a 461 MB file
3 pieces downloading, totally 923 pieces
connected to 16 peers, 7 seeds: 23 total.

Going to a 4,3 GB download, it uses nearly 55 MB...
All this is divided into 1140 pieces (4 downloading).
connected to 51 peers, 2 seeds: 53 total.

Another download, 4,3 GB also, uses 55 MB RAM too..
2232 pieces, downloading 13.
connected to 71 peers and 11 seeds.

A third also 4,3 GB also uses nearly 55 MB RAM.

File allocation mode: sparse.
System: Win2k3EE.
CPU: C3-1GHz, 768 MB RAM.

Since this system runs several services in the background (enough for 512 MB applications and 256 MB data cache) this dramatically affects performance. Applications like DC++ don't have a this high hit on the memory allocation (especially because BT allocates per download).
Besides 30 - 50 MB is a bit huge IHMO for an application like this. A single instance uses the total memory that normally runs MS Exchange...

The memory usage seems to be determinated by the size of the download, according to my statistics.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:27 pm 
This is not a memory leak, this is the OS paging out other application's memory to use for the system cache, but caused by the BitTorrent download. When you switch to an application that has not been used for a while it has to bring all its memory back in from disk. Even worse, it seems it is actually thrashing.

There must be a solution to this, 'cause copying a 2 gig file does not cause all your apps to get paged out.

Since finishing the allocation fixes it, pre-allocating should also (prefs->advanced->file allocation type).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:18 am 
Pre-allocation did not fix it for me. The memory took longer to get drained, but it still happens.

It *IS* a memory leak. If you are seeing the same behavior as I am (almost all memory being cached) just for shits and giggles, try downloading a large torrent with BitComet. You will see that the memory doesn't get sucked up, and the system doesn't slow down when using BC.

By the way, I am NOT saying you should use BitComet instead of BitTornado. I personally find that Tornado is much faster and the upload is FAR more stable than in Comet. Also, the settings in BitComet just suck overall compared to BitTornado, and the GUI is cluttered and can be confusing, not to mention the explanations can be somewhat vague. I assume that the person who wrote BitComet is not a native English speaker.

Post subject: memory leak
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:33 pm 
I used BitTornado 0.3.7 on WinXP SP2 and got memory leak or something like that every time I used it. A lot of "Page Faults", "Virtual memory" usage and "Mem Usage". I'm downloading only one file. 1.3GB in size. Max upload: 4, Max down: 0

- cca. 20% of download done, 3 minutes of runtime
MemUsage: 36.212 K
Peak Mem Usage: 36.756 K
Page Faults: 43.487
VM Size: 32.648 K
Handles: 400
Threads: 10
I/O Read Bytes: 70.886.237
I/O Write Bytes: 1.705.962
I/O Other Bytes: 556.563

- after 20 minutes of runtime:
MemUsage: 37.920 K
Peak Mem Usage: 42.000 K
Page Faults: 156.752
VM Size: 34.760 K
Handles: 480
Threads: 7
I/O Read Bytes: 375.988.044
I/O Write Bytes: 32.946.644
I/O Other Bytes: 2.014.764

My computer: 3.0Ghz, 1GB, 240GB
The CPU usage slowly increases from 0-1% to of 2-3% after 20 minutes.
Threads go from 11 at the start to 7 after 14 minutes and stay that way.
If I change max upload connections (memory usage, page faults, VM size) increases, but not (I/O Read,Write,Other Bytes,Threads,Handles).

Hope this helps.

Post subject: ram usage
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:13 am 
n problems here at all, bit tornado is great, i can use msnmessenger, play yahoo chess, listen to music all while downloading with 3 torrents going. with no problems.

amd athlon xp 3200
512ram
200 gig harddrive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:48 am 
No probs here to

i even play games like cod cod uo unreal while d/l 4/5 torrents @ once
av.torrent size 700mb

amd 3200
1gig ram pc 3200
200gig
asus a7n8x-x

Post subject: Re: ram usage
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:12 am 
lost monarch wrote:
n problems here at all, bit tornado is great, i can use msnmessenger, play yahoo chess, listen to music all while downloading with 3 torrents going. with no problems.

amd athlon xp 3200
512ram
200 gig harddrive

Three torrents oh come on. I usually open up about 15 torrents at once. That's when it start lagging my computer as hell. All I could do was surfing and listen to music.

AMD Athlon XP+ 2600
512MB @ 2700PC
Oh and for some reason he put on his harddisk stat, i'll put mine too >>;
640GB harddisks (4x maxtor 160gb)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:27 am 
It takes 30,000K per client on my system.

Is this a resonable amount?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:12 pm 
Just wondering, but could this memory leak be due to an underpowered PC? I have noticed that on my main PC which has a 500W power supply, and 1 GB RAM, I never have the memory leak. But on my other computer which is a Dell with the regular 250W power supply and 512 MB RAM, the memory all gets cached up rapidly, causing system slowdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:13 pm 
Cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:16 pm 
Nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:57 pm 
Something that worked for me...

When my hard drive had sufficient free space, BT ran with no problems. It was only when my hard drive started running out of room that the problems began. Yes, BT uses a lot of RAM no matter what, but system performance was not affected if there was at least 20% free space on the hard drive. As soon as I freed some space and defragmented, things started running fine again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:23 am 
i d/led the BitTornado-0.3.8-w32install.exe

i'm currently running on a intel p4 3.6ghz w/ 1024mb ddr ram. (Winodows Xp Pro) on the task manger it says the torrents windows are eatting about say about 30ish.

1536 cashe size i have it set on disk.

when i download like two files, i'll be having extreme ram eatting problems, it will eat almost ALL my ram. even while downloading.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next