the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:31 pm 
So I switched to Azureus and found out the memory leak isn't a bug made by TheSHAD0W...

I still have the memory leak, though I don't loose my memory as fast. I did notice my that my page file increased from ~300mb to ~450mb with Azureus.
This difference may be because Azureus doesn't use Disk buffering...but just guessing here :)

Anyway, the problem may either be in the base programming of bittorrent or something one of the Windows Xp (pro) updates create.
However seeing as I only have a memory loss with Bittorrent client's I'm leaning towards bittorrent :D

So in the meantime, get a memory-program such as the free freeRAm Xp pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:37 pm 
It is possible that the problem lies within XP. I don't run BT with linux, but if someone who does could provide us with memory statistics, it would certainly help track down the problem. The reason I say the problem is likely to be with XP is that BitTorrent, as a protocol and a program, use many network features(and capabilities) that very few other programs use. And most of those the average user never hears about. Lets see, memory leak with more than one instance of BT running, my guess would be something to do with threading problems and locks on the network buffer functions(Windows API most likely), and thus, a problem for any network application, but exaggerated by BT due to its heavy use of the network(not to mention the number of connections it opens). Again, keep in mind that BT is an unusual piece of software, in that it acts as both client and server, and creates an ungodly number of network connections per session. I suspect that if you run two network apps at all with XP, you would see this type of memory leak behavior. I don't have XP installed on any working computers right now, so I can't test any of this. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:54 pm 
TheSHAD0W wrote:
A lot of people have complained about memory usage in the newest release under Windows. The application itself isn't actively using the memory, but Windows still reserves a large amount of RAM for its operation. I've traced the problem down to two features.

The first feature is disk read caching. This is designed to reduce the amount of thrashing your hard drive has to do. In order to do so, it reads an entire piece, which can be from a sizeable chunk of a megabyte to a few megabytes. RAM usage is equal to the size of a piece times the number of simultaneous uploads the client is performing. This shouldn't be that bad, but Windows' memory allocation is unable to keep its buffer from fragmenting, which combined with the large data blocks causes the buffer to balloon to the point where it may consume all available memory; at which point Windows takes steps to defragment the buffer, which increases CPU usage.

Disabling disk buffering solves the problem for normal operation, but the problem is often still caused by the fast resume feature. In order to provide the convenience of fast-resume combined with the reliability of hash-checking, fast-resume performs what is called "lazy hash checking"; it checks file hashes as pieces or portions of pieces are first read off the disk. By necessity, an entire piece must be read in order to check it, which raises the specter of memory fragmentation again.

I'll be working on some strategies for splitting up the buffers containing the piece data into smaller ones, which would be better able to fit within a fragmented buffer rather than cause it to expand. This will, however, increase overhead somewhat, though hopefully not to a point where it's noticeable.

Post subject: Heres mine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:23 pm 
7 Torrents actively being downloaded, no seeding.

(http://fyredaug.wc3campaigns.com/systemcache.jpg)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:18 pm 
Hi,

I'm using BitTornado 0.3.7 to download a 4.1 GB file. The file is an ISO image of a DVD. Every time my download nears completion(somewhere around 95% and above), BitTornado gives an error message saying "I/O error[error 28] no space left on device", bearing in mind that i still have lots of GBs left on my hard disk. Being frustrated, i tried downloading the file again using other bittorent clients, but they all report the same error. I also tried downloading it on another computer (my laptop), but got the same error message.

so i would like to ask for some help solving this problem

thnx alot for your time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:25 pm 
1) You posted in the wrong thread, Make a topic next time.

2) Your hard disk must be using "FAT32 filesystem" because the biggest single file you can have on that filesystem is 4.0GB.

3) You need to use Windows 2000 or Windows XP to be able to use the
"NTFS filesystem" which supports bigger files because Windows 9X (95,98) and Windows ME doesn't support this filesystem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:47 pm 
I've started uses BitComet because of its GUI, but it seems the dls are slower than that of tornado. Except bitcomet has no leaks at all. And since it has its gui, you only need to run the app once, so theres less ram usage there alone.

Just so you know, I still use BT though

Post subject: Donation
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:04 am 
Do I need to donate somewhere else, or did you get some of what I donated at Bittornado? I am obviously confused........

Post subject: RAM Leak
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:21 am 
I'm no computer techie, but I'm assuming when you complain of a RAM leak you are talking about when the overall computer speed slows down while using BTornado. ie. it takes forever to open other programs or check your email... :?

I get that problem if a torrent has been open for a long time, especially if the downloading file is larger than 2GB.

I think I may have found a solution! :shock:

First, I tried checking the box "flush data to disk every 5 mins" under prefs, and that didn't seem to help.

Next, I clicked on advanced and hit "finish allocation" at the bottom, even though I was only 0.1% done. Right away, BT made a file the size of the finished download. You are going to use the space anyways, so why not allocate the amount you need right away?

Interestingly, after almost 20 hours of downloading a 4 GB file, I am finding my system is as fast as if I just booted up! It's still d/l at 80K, too.

BTW: can someone tell me how to take a screenshot of the task manager window to show my memory usage? I'm watching the numbers, and all categories are staying pretty constant, instead of the PF rising and the Physical memory dropping.... Does this mean my memory leak is solved?

I hope this helps some peeps...! :D

Post subject: memory usage in linux
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:47 am 
I use version 0.3.7 in linux. I can see this memory leak.
I have 3 torrents which are downloaded and 1 seeded.
After 6 hour bittornado process use 100Mb of memory.
itis not page cache itis memorry got my malloc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:21 pm 
i use 0.3.7 under windows xp.

i've been using it with the leak for a while, and it didn't bother me much. sure my system got slow, but who cared. at least i got the file. i have 512mb of ram, and usually 300mb available when i start a torrent. after about 20 minutes, my system is reduced to 40mb available. close the torrent, it all comes back.

anyways... like i said it hasn't bothered me much, until lately. now it seems that when my system has 90mb available, the torrent stops downloading. all the ul/dl data is just stuck at whatever it was at. i use coolmon to see how much is going in and out of my network, and i'm seeing zero's.

i close the torrent, my ram comes back, i restart the torrent, it dl's again. stops when it hits around 90mb available. this sucks, but i love bit tornado. please find a fix! i even disabled disk buffering. i'm testing out with pre-allocation right now... lets see if that works! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:03 pm 
been torrenting a huge file with the data pre-allocated, and all seems fine. no memory leak. although, my available ram was being drained as the files were being allocated... i'm assuming this means tornado is having some problem when creating data on the disk.

i'm still using read/write buffering and auto-resume.

thanks for the suggestion category5, it has seemed to work! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:31 am 
after 10 hours downloading, last night nearly all of my gig of RAM was used up... and it magicly free'd when my two bittorrents were closed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:35 am 
some kid wrote:
i use 0.3.7 under windows xp.

i've been using it with the leak for a while, and it didn't bother me much. sure my system got slow, but who cared. at least i got the file. i have 512mb of ram, and usually 300mb available when i start a torrent. after about 20 minutes, my system is reduced to 40mb available. close the torrent, it all comes back.

anyways... like i said it hasn't bothered me much, until lately. now it seems that when my system has 90mb available, the torrent stops downloading. all the ul/dl data is just stuck at whatever it was at. i use coolmon to see how much is going in and out of my network, and i'm seeing zero's.

i close the torrent, my ram comes back, i restart the torrent, it dl's again. stops when it hits around 90mb available. this sucks, but i love bit tornado. please find a fix! i even disabled disk buffering. i'm testing out with pre-allocation right now... lets see if that works! :wink:

I'm pretty lucky with my PC... got a no good 128MB ram... and can still run 2 applications of bittornado... win xp btw, it slows the system down, but well... it doesn't stop nor feeze... I can still use the PC for playing too while downloading 2 torrents... only a matter of time till I upgrade my PC... I hope I'll have good results ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:34 am 
I did run a download envolving 2 gig splitted 15 mb chunks

My process memory was up to 56 mb and the System Cache at 800+ mb !

After restarting the client used 36 mb in a couple of minutes ..system
cache stayed at 800+ .

During playing games like BF1942 i noted severe impacts on performance.

System XP Pro SP1 , 1 gig ram, 200 gig WD , 120 Gig WD disks,
amd system at 2210 mhz, line speed is 3 mbit / 386 kbit

I use triple check and preallocate disk space.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next