the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:56 pm 
Okay.. I debated awhile before posting this.. because this is not related to this site/forum/thread at all. (Well it could be..)

But I didn't want people to think that /I/ think I have a memory problem due to ad/spy/malware.

This picture shows what all of the processes are.. (I know what each one is; IE: wintab32 is for my tablet.. winbar is for a desktop status monitor, google it)

All Ad-Aware found with the latest definitions were cookies and MRU:
Code:
Ad-Aware SE Build 1.06r1
Logfile Created on:Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:46:14 PM
Using definitions file:SE1R69 05.10.2005
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

References detected during the scan:
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
MRU List(TAC index:0):57 total references
Tracking Cookie(TAC index:3):77 total references
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

And here is my hijackthis.log if anyone really cares all that much. (None of the toolbars are ad/spy/malware.)
http://what.the.fcuk.org/hijackthis.log

My system is clean, but thanks for your concern.

Oh, btw, I installed BitTornado-0.3.12-w32install.exe and now my system is running a lot smoother. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:21 am 
http://www.utorrent.com <- here is the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:36 pm 
Dunno if this will help you fix the problem but I am currently seeding 2 files and downloading 3. Using a P4, 512M ram and XP

Physical Memory
Total 490992
Available 32568
System Cache 245152

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:04 am 
You people really should've spent a little bit of time reading at least the last couple of pages. If you had, you would know that there really isn't anything that can be done at this point because the cause of the memory problems is Python itself (the language BT is written in).

If the memory leak is too much of problem for you, then maybe you should go try another client which is not written in shitty Python. Try BitComet or ArcticTorrent since those are both written in C++.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:36 pm 
Is he using Python2.4.2? That came out in September.

Post subject: GET A DIFFERENT CLIENT
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:21 pm 
i debated for so long if getting another client was worth the time and effort. I was constantly having problems with the Memory usage leak with BitTornado. But at the same time, i didn't know what other clients out there were better, or worth the time.

Finally, after a few computer shut-downs caused by BitTornado, i was fed up enough to make the effort. DAMN AM I MUCH MUCH HAPPIER.

I think everyone who is having system failures (computer restarts) because of this memory leak problem should SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT CLIENT.

Read a few message boards and try a few differen programs, theres a lot of good ones out there, i settled on BitComet, works great with low memory usage (especially in comparison to BitTornado). Test a few out and see what you like best.

I really liked BitTornado, and if they ever get this problem solved, I may switch back....

if you're at all unhappy with this program you should DEFINITELY switch to another program ...theres so many out there that work well.
MAKE THE EFFORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:47 pm 
i still go from 324 meg avable down to 16 meg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:02 pm 
check out a client called Utorrent from http://www.utorrent.com its the best of all clients available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:12 pm 
I've been using bittornado for a couple of months and i can only be happy with it. Downloads works as a treat, uploading not a problem and it's not even close to the top memory using programs i have on my computer.
Can it just be that your computers are shitty configurated?
Not talking about spyware or things like that....just badly configurated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:43 pm 
Gandalf, you're looking at the wrong numbers. If you think that looking at the memory usage numbers next to the BT process in Task Manager is telling you what it uses, then you don't have a clue. What everyone is complaining about is the fact that the memory is not being released after BT uses it. Look at it this way. Even though task manager will say that BT only uses say 30 MB of memory, what happens when BT uses 30, doesn't let windows take it back after using it, but dumps it into a non-accessible place, then grabs another 30, dumps that into a non-accessible place, grabs another 30, etc. It will always be shown as using 30 MB, but it has just made 90 MB unavailable for other programs to use. Just imagine what happens when you leave BT running for a few hours. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that pretty soon, no matter how much RAM you have, you will eventually run low on memory. Windows XP and other NT based OS's will eventually free up enough to keep working, but this causes a slow down in performance since things are being pushed out to the paging file. That's what everyone is complaining about.

Because of this behavior, even system hogging clients like Azureus run much better on my machine. Although Azureus uses around 100 MB of RAM on my computer, that number is true and accurate. Only 100 MB is what is not available for other programs.

BT on the otherhand, will show as using 30 MB, but will tuck away another 1.7 GB if left alone. Yeah, you read that right. 1.7 GB which is about 1700 MB, that only becomes available again when Windows recognizes that it's running extremely low.

So even though I have 2 GB of RAM, if I leave BT open for a long time, my computer runs as though I only had 256 MB of RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:44 pm 
lol, I have the same problem with azureus, however it puts away 100MB at a time rather than 30 :(, my system memory reduce from 1700MB to 320MB in matters of few hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:43 am 
Heh. Stop blaming python or bittornado. As the shadow said, it's a problem in the Windoze memory management system which causes memory fragmentation. I have seen this happen to me when I programmed on windows too. You allocate memory, then free it, but as the default windows allocator is too dumb, it fragments free memory and even if you have a lot of free mem, it's split into so many tiny bits that it's unusable and your machine grinds.

I have a linux machine which runs bittornado without interruption for several months and there is absolutely no sign of memory bloat. IT JUST FUCKING WORKS (the only thing that stops it is when the disk is full, but that's a bit logical...)

So don't blame python or the author. Write to microsoft instead ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:44 pm 
look, im really tired of hearing about these problems.

simply put, if you dont like the software, dont fucking use it.

im sick of all you whiny kids bitching about a program i designed (for free), with the intentions of making file sharing easier (for free).

if you dont like it, get the fuck out of my kitchen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:14 am 
*snif, snif*

...i like your program mister shadow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:03 am 
:lol: People complain about FREE things and expect things to happen. IMO, so long as the programmer (In this case Shadow) knows of the problem or problems, it's done. If it gets fixed, great! If not, oh well. It's a FREE piece of software.
I have used 2 free programs before and ran into problems on both. (I shale keep the programs and writers anonymous) One of them responded as fallows "Thank you for informing me of this problem, let me know what's the configuration you are running so I can look into it" The next day, the problem was resolved, and a new version was released. The programmer thanked me for bringing up the issue. Well, I responded as fallows "Thank YOU for fixing the problem. I know it's a small program, but it's free. Not everyone can do that stuff, and when it's free it can be even harder" Needless to say, I am still grateful for the repairs.
The other one, well, I sent an E-Mail in and I basically got shut down. They at first rudely informed me that they were not going to work on that software anymore, as people are greedy and don't care about the time put into writing. I responded saying that I was sorry that they were having problems with that, but that I am happy that I was at least informed that the program development has stopped. Eventually I got a response, saying thanks for understanding and apologizing for the original reply. Well, I responded it was OK, and that there were no hard feelings and that was the end of it.

Either way, people MUST remember that if something is free, and there are problems, it's SOLELY up to how the person who made it is treated and if they even have time to fix it. They don't need to be bombarded by people telling them there software is all messed up, and that they should fix it. I completely agree with Shadow's response, and as you can see, I firmly believe it's Shadow's choice on what to do, NOT us because it is FREE software.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next