the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: NTL Broadband
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:50 pm 
Not sure really but heres my problem.

I am in the UK. Using BB via a Cable tv set top box. NTL is the cable/ISP.
Win XP, no firewall.

Since using bittorrent(shadows, currently 5.8.8) i am loosing my connection regular. This results in me needing to reset my set top box.

I have used p2p and newsgroups for file sharing before and not experienced this before. It could of course be a problem with NTL but i am starting to suspect either bitorrent or shadows client in particular(although i have not tried any other client)

Any ideas, and anyone else in uk experiencing yet another hassle from NTL trying to limit bandwidth?

Cheers Dudes
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:22 pm 

BT puts a heavy load on the network system. Unless NTL provides new firmware for your set-top box, this is going to prove to be a persistent problem. (It's not unique to BT either; for instance, WinMX can cause similar effects.) You can try setting Prefs/Advanced/Max peer connections to 40 or 30, but even this may not help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:19 am 
I shall hunt around for new firmware but i dont hold much hope. My max connect is set to 40, although the box often freezes up with only 5 people on the torrent.

Thing is i try to leave my downloads running overnight and i reckon the box freezes after maybe only 1 hour. Like i am being held hostage by bitorrent, needing to reset all the time.

Thanks for the help

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:17 am 
I connect via NTL Set Top Box and have not encountered this problem, could it be something else? I have not changed the setting either, why change it if it works eh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:12 pm 
Get ntl to replace your set top box.

Worked for me. But then again, so did buying a new router that wasnt linksys crap :P

Post subject: NTL Broadband
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:07 pm 
i have had this problem a few times, but sometimes i found that everyone else that i was on MSN to crashed at the same time.

Sometimes it may be NTL and maybe sometimes it may be you

Also, try to keep your box well vetilated!!!!!!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]