the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:12 am 

I have CHANGED my ports too from 6881-6889 to 28501 - 28509 but my download speed decreases with 50% when I use 6881 - 6889.

I have still the greenlight (using portforwarding with speedtouch 510 v4) but my speed is slow.

So I have set it back to 6881 - 6889 and it's still working okay.

So changing ports doesn't mean speed increasing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:57 pm 
Alright guys,

I have been plagued with bt causing my computer and its internet connection to freeze for months. It didn't matter how many different bt clients I tried or how many times I tried different firmware on my router.

After reading this sticky, the answer was within. Whether it's a combination of zone alarm 5 and/or changing the ports to something other than 6881-6999, once I did this, all my problems went away.

I change my range anywhere between 13000 and 20000 every week, and I have no problems with speed. In fact, I'm back up to 200KB/s. I don't have to set any max peer connections or restrict upload bandwidth or do anything with my router or cable modem, other than do the port forwarding.

Either way, get rid of Zone Alarm 5 or just change your ports and that could be the fix...late!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:57 pm 
just a question. Are ISPs throttling upstream only, or are they messing with the downstream. I usually get my full 512k"b" upstream, but I usually only get 200/512k"B" downstream. It's decent, in fact, I can't complain, but is there a chance with a bit of tweaking it could possibly go any faster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:52 pm 
I just changed my ports, and restarted my current DL, and now it wont seem to go over 30kb/s when it was up to 170 before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:57 am 

I changed the ports and found I was downloading faster with original ports in the yellow light then I was with new ports in green light.

Did I do something wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:32 pm 
Just thought I would let people know the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:30 pm 
I know a lot of universities now, including mine, are capping BT to ridiculously low rates (~5kB up and down) by identifying the headers. This is a disaster as before I was able to upload at 300kBps easily. I don't know too much about networking, but would it be possible to have each client randomly generate their own header rather than having all us 19BitTorrent? I?m guessing not because I suppose it would mess up communication between clients, but the idea was on my mine.

Post subject: bandwidth slowdown
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:49 pm 
My router has port forwarding set up and i changed the ports that it uses, but I still have a problem. If I run more than one instance of BT my bandwidth drops severley. Using test site near me I get a bandwidth rate of 900k with only one BT and 40k with more than one. BT seems to be unffected, I am able to download and upload 15 files at the same speeds that one would be able to be downloaded at, but regular web surfing suffers severley. Any ideas as to any workarounds or what the problem might be. Also I am on a torrent with 7 peers and 2 seeds and I am getting a upload of 20k and download of 30 k, is this a normal speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:59 am 
I actually had the gall to email my University's network admin about their "hidden" policy on Bt (since I was getting, at best, 5kb/s downstream on amazingly popular files).

He replied stating their ISP limits the bandwidth dedicated to P2P apps. Apparently severely so, because the best I can get is 5k a second.

What's ridiculuous is the fact that any HTTP/FTP downloads breeze by at 150-250kb/s, no problem. I thought routing BT through port 25 or 80 would give me better download speeds, but that didn't help. I guess the ISP is indeed checking the headers of our packet use...

I guess the question is, how can this be worked around, if at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:19 am 
Hello all,
This is a very educational thread, but I have a question that I've never been able to find the answer to. I used to thave the slow speed problem on 6881-6889 and so changed my port range and got good speeds, sometimes 200+ if the torrent is very active. The range I used is pretty random, yet I still connect to a ton of people.

My question is: if your client is listening on port X then does everyone you connect to have to also be on port X or will you connect to people on other ports as well, say for instance 6881?

JackStraw77

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:41 am 
humph. spent hours over the last few days, enabling various ports goin to windows XP firewall and doing the exceptions in the settings, etc... downloaded the www.XP-antispy.org bit of kit and doiin special connection limit, found port 6969 had muse on it whatever the hell that is... cant google find but seems to be linked to media and advertising but adawares etc dont bring anything up... got nortons firewall did fiddling with that and still YELLOW then unchecked the stealth blocked ports in nortons and wha hey, if i'm not green. Not sure what this means for security. Just hope it is of help to some1 somewhere...

Post subject: the basic premise
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:41 am 
According to Shadow's intial post :

Quote:
I recommend all of you change your BT port range to a block of approx. 20 ports over 10000 but below 60000.

Does this apply to ONLY older versions of Bittornado ? Because when i look at my port settings for BitTornado it is ALREADY set to "randomize" between 10000 and 60000.

What would be the point of me manually picking out a range?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:15 pm 
the only point to picking out a range would be to open ports in your firewall, whether this be Windows XP one or another or for people with routers, etc. then their ports can be forwarded
http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=17671
try this link

Post subject: ah
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:20 pm 
ah thanks.

Im using a cable modem with comcast, as far as i know i dont have a firewall. So this isnt relevant for me im guessing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:20 am 
no firewall. then no. but u should.
other tips....
1. make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator". do not log on with any account that just has administrator privileges.
2. start - run - type gpedit.msc
3. expand the "local computer policy" branch
4. expand the "administrative templates" branch
5. expand the "network branch"
6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window
7. in right window double click the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting
8. on setting tab check the "enabled" item
9. where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0

Effect is immediate on some systems, some need to re-boot. This is more of a "counter what XP does" thing. In other words, programs can request up to 20% of the bandwidth be reserved for them, even with QoS disabled, this is no big deal and most programs do not request it. So, although QOS has caused a big stink because people think it reserves 20% of their bandwidth, you can still disable it, just to be sure, hehe.

Here's how to do it in Norton Internet Security 2004:

**On the left side of the interface, click on Status and Settings.
**Click on Personal Firewall in the main display.
**Click on Configure in the lower right corner.
**Select the Advanced tab.
**Click the General button.
**Click the Add button.
**Make sure the Permit radio button is selected and then hit Next.
**Select the Connections to and from other computers radio button. Click Next.
**Make sure the Any computer radio button is selected and click Next.
**The TCP and UDP radio button should be selected. Select the Only the types of communication or ports listed below radio button.
**Click the Add button.
**Under Filter by, select Individually specified ports. Make sure the Remote button is selected under Locality.
**Enter the port your BT client uses to connect, such as 6881.
**Click OK.
**This will take you back to the Add Rule dialog box. Click Next.
**Don't select any of the notification options, or you will be bombarded with Security Alerts. Click Next.
**Type in a descriptive name for the firewall rule. Click Next.
**Select the appropriate location for this new rule. If you're using your home computer, the word Active should appear in parentheses next to Home. Select that one. Click Next.
**Review the summary page and click Finish.
**Click on OK until you get back to the main interface, and you're done!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next