the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: England
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:51 pm 
I'm quite close to Englang UK I guess, being in England :wink:

I'm reading this forum because I suspect I'm being capped too. I changed my ports from the default, and I got my full 1meg speed back - yipee!

Unfortuneately... 24hours later... its back to a snail pace. I am only downloading from 1 peer out of 17. I can upload as much as I want, and I am.

What I can't tell for certain is - am I capped on dowloading or are all of the other peers capped on their uploads!

Looking at the tracker stats suggests that I've shifted fairly average amounts, its a 10Gig torrent and downloads range from 10Meg to 8Gig in the last 12 hours, with 500Meg looking like the average.

Torrent speeds go up and down like crazy, so try a few well seeded ones before you get too paranoid :shock:

and check http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for alternative ADSL providers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:57 pm 
Hi Thanks for the quick Reply, I contacted my ISP since my last posting earlier to day, I told them how my Bandwidth is fine with FTP and Straight downloads using normal web based downloads, I also explained that I have a multi booting machine that has different OS on each partition.

When I questioned the Technician about why my 5 kbps CAPPING was happening with BT he also acted dumb asking me to Spell out the name Bittorrent :x He told me he would ask the manager to contact me tomorrow, he made little effort to try to blaim it on my side. I also think now that all my multimedia / P2P / even real player video is being effected, also I can't get edonkey to work either. I changed my port address to several different addresses and NO Difference at all.

I HAVE NOTICED A BIG CLUE TO BANDWIDTH CAPPING TO WATCH OUT FOR!

If i have One (1) download window open on BT I get a max of 6 kbps download speed, If I try to download with 2 or more BT downloads then that 6 kbps is divided between the other downloads, this tells me I am BEING CAPPED! If I do some other downloads, not using BT client they use bandwidth freely that is not being capped? I think if we ARE NOT GETTING WHAT WE PAY FOR WE SHOULD PROTEST BY EITHER CHANGING ISP, OR GOING FOR A CHEAPER PACKAGE such as 156 kbps or lower dial up package! Why pay for a 512 kbps dial up package if all we get is 5 kbps ?

Michelle

PS, I heard British Telecom also limit their bandwidth to a few GB per month so thats a no go!

Finally, I read earlier in the postings that someone suggested that the headers of BT files are the ones being targetted for capping, this seems to be what is happening as I changed my port address - & TO NO AVAIL, (Made No Difference at All) so why can't the makers of bittorent software design a Java based or dynamically assigned method for the headers of BT files? :)

Post subject: Engrand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:45 pm 
Thank you Chelle - your post reasures me that my ISP is probably ok!

I just DL'd another torrent t 100% full speed, and the slow one is slow again... so its other peoples ISP's not mine!

try http://www.freedom2surf.net/

they seem reliable and quite cheap - I have 3 friends with no trouble on them.

...urgg... that torent i now gog at 2k :evil: UGUGUG

Post subject: freedom2surf Sounds Good
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:38 am 
Please may I ask, with it being Saturday Tech Support is closed, does freedom2surf. support the use of a Arescom Ethernet Modem? Model 800 (NetDSL 800) I know the NetDSL does not support VCMUX as can't be configured for Tiscali without a firmware mod, using special serial programming interface. My freind gave me several of these modems, its a pity I can't make use of them!

I also have a Sagam ADSL Modem supplied by Tiscali Do you think I will have problems using either modems with freedom2surf? I would like to make use of the Arescom Modem it has built in firewall plus can use all 3 PCs on my home network, this would be very usefull for seeding bittorrent files on a dedicated PC.

At the moment I only have 1 PC capable of using Internet as Bittorent does not support Internet Connection Sharing which my other PCs must use, on the USB Sagam Modem.

Michelle

PS My Neighbour also highly reccommends PlusNet he told me he gets 1mb transfer with no problems, he is also a Wiz Kid with PCs, seems I am spoilt for choice today :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:13 pm 
It looks like Tiscali have now jumped on the bandwagon as I have been getting download and upload speeds of less than 5kb/s over the last month, when I used to get 30+. It's now not worth my even attemting to download large files. I'm upgrading to a faster package but suspect it will be the same. Probably time to change isp i think. Anyone else having problems with Tiscali?

Post subject: The Clock is ticking
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:18 pm 
I have been in touch several times this week with Tiscali, to complain about the poor bandwidth I am getting with p2p, so far they have promised me twice to contact me.

1st Tech support said the manager would be in touch with me either Sunday or Monday! Needless to say I never got a call, then late on Monday I wrung them again, and then to be offered a 1mb connection at the same price as my 512 package which I was on before. The techky said they would do some checking and give me a call to try and resolve the issues I am having, with the premise that if they sorted out the problem I could take up the 1mb offer for same price. I guess they are on borrowed time in my books, as I am getting really cheesed off with the fact it has taken me 10 days to download half of a 2 gb file so far using Bittorent and I am stuck at up/down speeds of 5kbps no matter what I try to download using BT. I have also tried to ping some of the ip addresses shown in my torrent advanced window, with 100% loss of packets for these ip numbers so I know that I am being blocked.

FTP, and other downloads work fine, but anything like Edonkey, Warez p2p client, or the like does not work at all. So it seems this is a definite cap on all p2p apps by Tiscali.

I will try to keep you posted on any further development …

Michelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:24 pm 
I have been following this thread, as my ISP has recently started packing p2p apps in an attempt to reclaim lost BW. It seems that people are either not reading the thread, or simple refuse to believe it.

Firstly, p2p file sharing has dramatically increased overall BW usage, and yes BT now makes up the majority of p2p traffic. There are many firms worldwide who provide network management / tracking services based on packet identification who all concur.

Check this link if you dont believe : http://www.cachelogic.com/p2p/p2poverview.php

Secondly, packet shaping technology exists (and yes, its UNIX based), and is being used. Whoever thinks it isn't is in denial. Currently, Several ISPs in Canada are using this, and I suspect very soon, all of them will. In addition, they have also capped BW usage, which is the first time in almost 5 yrs that any large ISP has introduced a cap (mind you its 60GB, which I think is reasonable - anyone who doesn't might want to take a look at what they are actually spending their life doing). People say its wrong, and the ISPs make enough money etc etc, but if you look at Rogers (largest Canadian Cable provider) Q4 earnings in 2004, they lost 15.4 million.

Packet shaping is here to stay. If you want to share files, I think the traditional approach to file sharing is gone. Do we start encryting packets ? Or do we simply revert back to good old FTP servers, whose traffic cant be throttled as it simply has far too many legitimate applications.

I dunno bout you, but my BT days are over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:58 pm 
I believe U, its a shame so many don't know whats really going on in the world. The fact is, with all business they only care about profit and certainly don't mind on passing on some of the inconveiniance to the customer as long as they strike a balance where they don't lose customers thats what they will do! I think there will be a BW war for some time to come, between the ISPs just like the old petrol price wars, they will boast of whose got the least capping, or something like that once it gets around.

One thing strikes me, surely they must know the p2p is really very efficent when you think about it, sharing wise! It seems a shame to penalise such a system.

Chelle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:05 pm 
It looks like you're right. The days of unlimited uploads are over and it may be difficult for BT to overcome this.

Post subject: tiscali
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:32 am 

bt, port, virus probs? No 2 weeks 3xp installs and im still at 5KB just capped i guess.

Post subject: Dissappointment
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:56 am 
I must say that its a true dissappointment to have your ISP capp the bittorrent program. I've started using Kazaa Lite Resurection and I've been getting download speeds of up to 214kbs. Which is way better speed then what I've been recieiving from Bittorrent. If your gonna use bittorrent I recommend finding the Torrent with the most Seeders and Downloaders. I've been getting 50kbs'ish. Good luck

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:33 pm 
90% of the problems i have seen posted are problems with your ports not being set to work with torrent .
if you have a good up speed and DL speed with other things its not your provider it user error

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:01 am 

Hi Tazz,
I'm am sorry to disagree, but if you read the forums you will find that increasing numbers of People are having the download/upload stream capped (Capping of BW is real, and it is happening) for any p2p applications especially Bittorrent. Their is a new initative to target high bandwidth using packet managment software, BT users and P2P account for as much as 70-80% of heavy BW usage. Read the posts higher up the thread, and also see how many other users are having their p2p capped at around 5 or 6 kbps, this alone is to much of a coincidence. Bear in mind an error may cause fluctuations in download speed, the only way someone such as myself can be stuck at a fixed rate of 5 kbps continuously is for the packet stream to be regulated by special packet regulation software.

The reseach has been done, by many other victims of this capping, if you read all the posts you will find some have even re-formatted the hard drives and re-installed all their system to NO avail.

I am amongst a number of other Tiscali customers, and we ALL share one thing in common CAPPING of Bittorrent and p2p. If you doubt me read for your self!

Tiscali capping bittorrent!
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Tiscali problems !!
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=17791

The Technology is already here to cap specific download protocols!

Read more about it here!
http://www.cachelogic.com/p2p/p2pchoices.php
NOTE LOOK FOR THE BLUE BUTTONS ON THAT SITE FOR MORE DETAILS!

Quote "In considering these factors, some Service Providers may suggest that the most obvious solution is to simply block or, at least, restrict Peer-to-Peer traffic across the network."

Option 4 | traffic shaping
http://www.cachelogic.com/p2p/p2pchoices.php
Quote "Another technical solution available to Service Providers is to deploy traffic shaping technology. These products work by throttling bandwidth across predefined ports or applications by interfering with the TCP communications and creating retry or busy signals. This approach can certainly assist in smoothing traffic patterns, but in real terms subscribers will continue to download the same content. The net result is there is no saving in overall traffic volumes. At best, this solution simply defers some of the cost at the expense of the user experience. "

End Quote, all the information about Packet shaping, Bandwidth limiting by targeting certain ports, or protocols in dealt with on that site!

Michelle

Post subject: tiscali
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:41 am 

im with chelle on this, get perfect score running check ,cant use shareaza checked useage and have exceeded 30 gig in jan but got no email warning, left emails with tiscali no reply, contract up end of feb so something to smile about.Where to next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:09 am 
hahaha How can you not agree with chelle. I'm in Canada and the ISP provider said roughly the samething. However, I was using bittornado last night while downloading a movie and I was able to recieve 153kbs which I find is rediculousely (not sure on spelling) fast. I still am sticking with Kazaa Lite Ressurection where I've been able to catch speeds of 120kbs.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next