the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:54 am 
so far ive not experienced this problem as of yet but its worrying to say the least , ive been on bt broadband for a while and in another thread i mentioned that i experience a similar problem as others in which the tornado engine freezes and the torrent stops also causing the cpu to go flat out , im currently trying another torrent engine to see if its the program but im wondering if its related to this issue above and possible blocking by bt of ports 6881 - 6999 after a certian amount of time , this has only happened recently but if it is this wouldnt changeing my open ports kill the speed as most peeps will still be using the above ports?

Post subject: BT?! :(
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:22 pm 
dude id get off BT if i was u, theyve put a new download cap on broadband, 15gb a month for 512k service, and 30gb month for 1mbit service, im on pipex, no cap :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:57 pm 
2 Bladez that is totally not true

and ADMIN WHEN IS MY ACTIVATION URL COMING????????

its been a week now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:37 am 
TornadoTorrentTEMP wrote:
2 Bladez that is totally not true

and ADMIN WHEN IS MY ACTIVATION URL COMING????????

its been a week now....

lol been 2 months for me i think now.... i just post as a guest :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:23 pm 
If you can, just make the computer you use BT on the DMZ Host for your router. Just firewall and make sure it is a blackhole to everything else though. That's the method I've been using for a while now and as long as I've been security conscious (closing unneccesary ports, monitoring IP and port connections, patching, etc.) I've been safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:41 pm 

I don't recommend running any machines in a DMZ unless you have an application that requires external access to all ports on the machine. Otherwise you're asking for trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:37 pm 
Okay, bear with me, because I'm new at this, and about to throttle my computer. I downloaded BitTorrent today, and got a yellow light. After some investigative work, I managed to "fix" my firewall, using the port range 6881-6889. All was well and good, if a little slow. (A half hour show was taking between 2 and 8 hours for download - download speeds were between 6 and 32 kpS.) I'm using Norton.

Then I read this thread.

I changed the ports to 11200-11220, and changed BitTorrent's settings accordingly.

I now have security warnings every second about remote system access. (The lights were still green at that point, but speeds had dropped to about 2-3 k.) I closed down all BitTorrent clients, but I'm still getting warnings. I wasn't getting any before this fiasco. HELP!

I was refusing all connections since I didn't know which ones were right, and the ports were all low. Now, I can't even reconnect to the BitTorrent stream . . . I get a red message saying permission was denied. I'm so frustrated. I don't want my computer broken into. Everything was working better before I changed - should I switch back? How do I get rid of all these inbound systems? AAAAGH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:19 am 
Quote:
I changed the ports to 11200-11220, and changed BitTorrent's settings accordingly.

I think he said ADD not CHANGE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:01 am 
so where in the program or OS do you add the random ports to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:04 pm 

Whatever's generating the security warnings is misconfigured.

Post subject: encryption
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:05 pm 
DeHackEd wrote:
Those probably read the packets though. For an ISP, it's too infeasable to read every single packet and figure out what is what. And no ISP would use Linux for its core routing. No serious ISP anyways.

You might be surprised. I doubt they would throttle realtime like the Linux packet filter, but they may very well run a monitor that records stats about who is using what protocol and set throttles based on that. Of course, they might just do that based on network usage, which would make more sense.

Anyway, it won't be long before mainstream routers do this sort of thing. Especially considering that the only thing on the internet using more bandwidth is spam email, (I pulled this staticstic out of my butt, but it's probably true) ISP and backbones stand to gain from it.

Even a simple low-computation encryption would be able to prevent protocol detection. At least until it's broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:48 pm 
Hmm i did as shadow said by fowarding my ports between 10000 - 60000. Before doin this change, my status light was green and i got pretty good dl speed 50 and up. After changing, the status light stays yellow and i get 0-5 kb/s. Can anyone help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:52 am 
hey
I tried changing my ports and while the light goes green
I connect to about 1/10th of the peers I do when using 688x port range
this is even after leaving it for several hours
so I think changing the port range causes more problems than it solves :(

Post subject: Changing the port range
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:54 am 
Changing the port range doesn't affect how many people you connect to ... or how many people connect to you. If you configure BT correctly, after you connect to torrent ... everyone else connecting to it knows your ports.

For security reasons, I never use a P2P client in its normal range if it provides a way to change it (since bad guys scan those ranges and try to crack into machines that way).

ISPs do indeed sometimes block (or throttle) outgoing traffic in certain port ranges to minimize usage....and switching the port range is currently an effective way to get around that problem as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:16 pm 
Hi...

Now got the latest version of bt.

I've been out of the scene for a while now....can I just confirm....

The ports that need to be changed/forwarded...should be changed on my router...is this correct....?
... ie get rid of 6881-6889....and change it to between eg, 10000-10020...?

I don't need to change the port range on bt prefs ,do I....?

Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next