the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:19 pm 
Hi there. I don't have a single complaint about the bt client. in fact i love it. i do have a question though:

Can someone explain the BitTorrent Advanced window properties for me? What do the following headers describe?

- Local/Remote
- Interested
- Choking
- Interesting
- Choked
- Snubbed

I read about the "choked" header meaning something about how BT queue's up allocations to different users, but to be honest am not too clear on the topic or any of the other headers listed.

Any help would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:37 pm 
"What do the following headers describe?"

- Local/Remote : Local means you connected to that person. Remote means that person connected to you. Having at least one remote connection is what makes the status light go from yellow to green, and it means that a client has made a successful inbound connection through your firewall if any.
- Interested : Some client likes you and wants to send exchange data with you.
- Choking : Your client is limiting the speed it sends data to that client.
- Interesting : You like a client and want to exchange data with it.
- Choked : Some client is limiting the speed it sends data to you.
- Snubbed : This a more serious situation than the above ones, and it occurs when a client for some reason can't send you at least 500 Bytes/sec. It means you refuse to send them any more data until they hold up their end of the exchange and send you the rest of their data. They will become unsnubbed if they send it to you faster than 500 B/s.

Basically all the above things are how BT balances the load in the swarm and makes sure data gets exchanged as fast as possible by analyzing how fast each client re-offers a piece to the swarm. They are all automatic.

nibs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:24 am 
hey thanks for your reply

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]