the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:26 pm 
After installing Release Candidate 1 of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (yes, WinXP SP2 RC1) BitTorrent returns an open URL failed:

Problem connecting to trackre - <urlopen error (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')>

Any ideas for a fix besides uninstalling the Service Pack?
P.S. Its not a firewall issue as I've disabled that already...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:30 pm 
bump... anybody else have WinXP SP2 installed? does your BitTorrent/BitTornado client work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:34 am 

Microsoft + beta = bad. Advice for the future: never install anything not finished wich is made by Microsoft. This little advice will spare you from lots of tweaking & cursing.

But no, I don't know what it might have done to bittorrent.. Have you cheked that the install didn't put XP's own firewall back on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:12 am 
I would have to agree with Elostirion, even though I do not hate Microsoft like so many others, I would be stupid if I thought they made bug free software. Try to wait for the full release of the software, unless the Beta can give you features that you NEED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:17 am 
TnT wrote:
I would have to agree with Elostirion, even though I do not hate Microsoft like so many others, I would be stupid if I thought they made bug free software. Try to wait for the full release of the software, unless the Beta can give you features that you NEED.

Just a correction, Microsoft's Windows XP SP2 RC1 is not a beta. It is a Release Candidate. It has moved beyond the beta stages. If the RC is causing problems, users should report to Microsoft promptly to see they can do anything about it. Or else, RC1 will just turn into probably RC2 and so on, and after a while, it'll be finalized and there's no changing to it.
If BT indeed fail to work, it'll cause trouble to millions of downloaders.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:02 am 
i do not have installed XP Service Pack 2 of any kind and i get exactly the same error, my firewal is completely opend up when i use bit torrent and before i have not had any problems, does ne one have any idea how to fix this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:28 am 
There was a problem with my ISP's DNS servers, I was geting the same error due to the inablility to "resolve" IPs and some Domain Names. You might be having the same problem, to an extent... :|

probably does not help, but its a start

Post subject: yer..
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:13 am 
bit torrent seems happy again for me but not with the bittornado client, i changed this morning to using Azureus and its working fine, downloading at about 1.5mbit/sec stable now :)

its a slightly bigger app than bittornado but it also has a few more features.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:51 am 

...and it's Java, no thanks :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:23 am 
I have RC 1 build 2096 and i have the bitTornado installed, works fine with me.... Just uploads more than it really downloads, thats what i really hate. But that happends to me on every client i use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:48 am 
Elostirion wrote:

Oh no, fear the Java :roll:

Thats a common error in BT, its nothing to do with service packs or anything to do with micro$oft. It's more likely that the tracker is overloaded, just need to wait, it'll work again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:00 pm 
Elostirion wrote:

Fancy a tango maybe? ;)

Kidding aside, java is a good concept but a bad implementation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:57 pm 

XPSP2 is an attempt to slow the spread of worms and trojans while adding nothing much more than some security updates and a new firewall. The new firewall actually blocks outbound traffic (sort of). Only if the program wants server rights will it block the connection and bring up a popup asking what you would like to do. The new firewall is a step in the right direction but it isnt complete at all so most will still opt for a 3rd party firewall for better outbound protection. After you install sp2 you get a security center which bugs you about automatic updates, firewall protection, and anti-virus protection unless you turn off that feature. The firewall is enabled by default and you will either need to disable it or configure your ports and programs. (BT, or other server programs.) I still think the windows firewall is a joke but some might want to use it. The firewall is the only thing I can think of that would cause the problems you are describing unless the tracker is in fact overloaded, then all you can do is manually announce until you connect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:52 pm 

Stop java hattin :lol: you act as if python is perfect hmmm hehe. Either way i have had no problems with BT on RC1. Make sure you cfg the new firewall options

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:31 pm 
I like azureus, i get really fast download rates with it, but it eats up CPU cycles like hell, as well as memory.

are there any BT clients written in .Net (C#)? i wanna see how that turns out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next