the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:12 pm 

One time upon opening a torrent using the client it tried to send email. Is this part of the new clisent's functionality, if so for what purpose? The torrent I was trying to open was outdated. Just wondering if it's an automated bug-reporter. If so, why not make it publically known I may have allowed access had I known ahead of time, but I don't like spyware. If it wasn't the client, I 'am sorry for the unfair accusation. Just looking for some clarity into why this would happen.
Even if it was the torrent file, why not have the client block access?
Wish I had more details but I was on my way out the door at the time. I'll have to sift through my firewall logs and see if I can find anything more descriptive if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:47 pm 

Maybe there was a BT peer listening on port 25 (SMTP) and your firewall thought your BT client was trying to send mail when it tried to connect to that peer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:40 pm 
It never connected to any other peers on any other ports after that though in that one instance. So, that's why I thought that maybe it was bug-reporting. I'm still using the client now, because I like it. That was just odd though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:50 pm 
Some schools or MIS groups give users open ports in the oddest locations... If you see my client connect to another machine on port 25 or 80 or another "known" port, it's just some unfortunate trying to get around the blockage.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]