the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Bit Tornado and adware
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:56 pm 

So I d/l bit tornado from bittornado.com. I uninstall 5.8.11 of shadow experimental and install bit tornado. Oh look. A crapload of new icons on my desktop that reoccur after i delete them and a bunch of adware from 180solutions. I uninstall bit tornado and reinstall SE 5.8.11.

I ran ad-aware multiple times, but everytime i ran bit tornado, it reinstalled the adware and icons. When I'm assured of an adware free bit tornado, I'll use it. Untill then it has no place on my computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:13 am 
but i didn't find any adware fron the bittornado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:58 am 
Neither did I...
Maybe it's an ID ten T error...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:17 am 
I also had no problem with this on my computer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:11 pm 

no TnT, I'm no IDIOT, but thanks for the flame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:35 pm 

where did you get the client? Maybe someone tampered with it.
I also have no 180solutions spyware here.
Also, 180solutions installs in activex installers (different type than this client's installer) sounds odd. I just mean, almost assuredly can't be the installer from bittornado's official page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:49 pm 
You won't have those problems with Azureus, nor will it crash with memory errors or dll errors that the author can't find in 5 releases.

nibs

Post subject: Tiraknor is an idiot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:02 pm 
There is no adware. You are just an idiot who doesn't know what he is doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:33 pm 

No, DeathMarine. I'm no IDIOT, but thanks for the flame. and the useless post. Hope you and TnT feel better about yourselves now.

I'll give it another try tomorrow when i get my Cable internet installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:25 pm 
No Spyware in bittornado,that I can gurantee.What are your Ad-aware settings? Run a virus check here regardless of any background virus scanners you have,run this one..After you tell me your Ad-aware settings,I'll tell you if you need to make any changes,then you'll scan,boot it up again,scan,then install.If you still get Spyware,then you'll have to post a Hijack This log.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:33 pm 

Quote:
Hope you and TnT feel better about yourselves now.

Actually, yes, I do.

I don't doubt you got spyware from someplace, but if you downloaded the client from this site, it is impossible that you got the adware from Tornado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:10 am 

That's okay guys, I've upgraded to Azureus. Its far superior to the current Bit Tornado. Check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:26 am 
I don't know about you, but I prefer to have a client that doesn't require Java as a requirement to run (something about extra memory to just load the damn JRE vs. Python). Either way, have fun with it, certainly does look nice, but doesn't do much extra to be worth my time 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:12 pm 
I got the 180 adware crap from BitTornado too... so it IS a serious issue, adaware cleaned it several times but it keeps coming back when i run BitTornado

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:19 am 

Just checked my mirrors; they all have the same file size. I'll double-check the MD5s after I download, but I don't expect any difference.

No, I have not placed spyware in my client. Don't take my word for it, though. Feel free to install Python and wxPython (http://www.python.org, http://www.wxpython.org) and run the program directly from the source code. Compile it using Py2exe and while the result may not have the exact same MD5 as mine it should be around the same size.

I dislike spyware, I dislike the people and companies behind it, and I will not brook it in my products. If anyone is distributing a version of BitTornado with spyware added, please let me know.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next