the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: SLOW download speed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:29 pm 
Ok.. i'm only behind the firewall in my linksys router but i did the port triggering thing and i can get a green light.. BUT.. i'm getting slow download speeds.. not really sure why.. i have a good cable connection (for down stream at lest) 3mbit-5mbit down and 248bit up (yes its slow =P) and everything i try to download gose slow.. usualy sub 20k download.. i have my upload speed set at 15 so it has room.. and like now i'm downloading a file and have 113 peers 4 seeds and seeing 26.999 distributed copies and i'm getting 15k download and 16k up... need less to say it'll take forever to download the 4gig file.. any help would be awesome.. even if it only gets me to say 50k download but with how fast a d/l speed i can have the 15-20k downstream is agravating.. and i'v tried this one lots of different files..and none of them get over a max of about 20k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:33 pm 
oh and i have tried 3 differnt clients.. the officeal, bittornado and TheShadows Experimental bittorrent client..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:56 am 
I have the same problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:50 pm 
so do I...

I have triad Azurus, ABC and Shadow yet I can't get verry high speeds.

I to have the green ligth all the time and sitt on a 8/1 mbit conn..

any help would be nice..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:56 am 

http://www.bittornado.com/faq.html

Post subject: Basic Math
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:42 pm 
This is not listed in FAQ but it should be self-evident, bittorrent speed DEPENDS on bandwidth SHARING.

Taking original posters numbers we get 113 peers and only 2 seeds. If those 2 seeds were uploading at 100KB each that?s spreads to 2KB/s download to each of the 113 peers, rest of your download speed is dependant on how much other 113 peers bandwidth limit their upload rate.

On average downloaders of large torrents (ex. 200MB+) IMHO will be users with dsl / cable with 2-3 Mb down sub 1Mb uplinks. If all do, same as the original poster, and limit to 15KB upload than that will be the average speed every peer will have, that?s basic math. The ratio of peers to seeds dictates on average how fast peers will download. Say 1 to 2 ratio, 50 seeds to 100 peers, will result in higher dl speed. There are times that?s not the case. There are rare torrent links that have hi bandwidth seeds as in multi megabyte uplink. I have seen once dl at over 500KB - that?s from one seed IP, max dl reached on that torrent was close to 900KB as in Kilobytes. There are also times when you have ISDN even modem peers with couple KB uplink limits. Thats why its important to seed after DL completes, low share ration Leaches cause the avreage DL speed to be LOW its simple give take math

On average most of my bittorrent downloads hover from 20-50 KB, higher speed hitting 150KB+ if its new torrent with seeds outnumbering peers. Currently I am using Experimental 5.8.11 with no problems as in connection limits or other issues mentioned in some of the other posts here. OS is Win2k Pro SP4 system, ZoneAlarm 3.7 as firewall, Athlon XP 1800 1 GB RAM (was fine with 512 RAM too) Linksys Router on my cable conection as well, 2-3 torrent running pose no more than 10-15% CPU usage even with over 100 connections per torrent when that situation happens.

PS. sorry this simple explanation got so longwinded :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]