the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:47 pm 
I just got this torrent thing and just wanted to know if this speed was about average?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:09 pm 
here is the pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:47 pm 

No....u shldnt leech so much, bring up ur upload speed jerk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:17 am 
no doubt homey.........will do by the way what does the max uploads do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:11 am 

Anonymous wrote:
no doubt homey.........will do by the way what does the max uploads do?

Max uploads sets the max amount of people your client will upload to simultaneously. It doesn't make sense why this person has theirs at such a high number when they have their upstream limited to such a low speed. That would mean that 20 peers would all be getting 0.5k/s max from this person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:48 am 

thats just leeching ..... and is soooooo bad for the rest of us

set your upload to 80% of your max upload speed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:29 am 
dont limit ur upload speed...dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:00 am 
Not limiting the upload speed would be nice IF bandwidth was free and plentyful. Unfortunately, it isn't. I would love to be able to leave my torrents going full force, but I also use a remote admin program to access my pc, and if my torrents are using all the bandwidth, I will not be able to remote admin my pc.

If that isn't enough, many ISP's monitor bandwidth usage, and if they find that your bandwidth usage is too high, they can suspend your account. The real kicker about this is, they usually only care about the upload bandwidth. So if you upload as much as you download, you are almost assured getting cut off by your ISP.

It is really almost impossible for any DSL or Cable subscriber to upload as much as they download, since upload speeds are generally much, much slower than download speeds. It's the nature of the beast. I try not to leech, but there is usually not much I can do about it. I just try to increase my upload speed for faster torrents, in an effort to give as much back as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:15 am 

TnT wrote:
Not limiting the upload speed would be nice IF bandwidth was free and plentyful. Unfortunately, it isn't. I would love to be able to leave my torrents going full force, but I also use a remote admin program to access my pc, and if my torrents are using all the bandwidth, I will not be able to remote admin my pc.

If that isn't enough, many ISP's monitor bandwidth usage, and if they find that your bandwidth usage is too high, they can suspend your account. The real kicker about this is, they usually only care about the upload bandwidth. So if you upload as much as you download, you are almost assured getting cut off by your ISP.

It is really almost impossible for any DSL or Cable subscriber to upload as much as they download, since upload speeds are generally much, much slower than download speeds. It's the nature of the beast. I try not to leech, but there is usually not much I can do about it. I just try to increase my upload speed for faster torrents, in an effort to give as much back as I can.

i think that is leeching !!!!!!!
i download a torrent and my upload speed sux so i leve it open as long as i can with a min upload as much as i download

its not all about speed !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:36 am 

Call it what you want, but tell me, if you download at 200 Kbps, and you MAX possible is 50 Kbps, you have to keep the torrent open for 4 times longer than it took you to download it. Now, consider most ISP (At least the ones around here) give a max of 2 - 4 GB per month TOTAL upload bandwidth allowed. Now, say you download a 10 GB file, and you share as much as you download. Guess what happens now? Your ISP bans you for a month because you used more than your allowed upload total.

So, I say go nuts if you want to do that, I personally like having internet in my home.

I should mention, that I usually upload at least 60+ GB every month, which, if my ISP caught on, they would probably ban me for ever.

Do I download more than I upload? Yes. Do I care if you think I leech? No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:12 am 

if you upload 60gigs per month are you saying you download 240gig a month ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:24 am 

Most likely... sometimes less, sometimes more...
If I could afford a second connection to be used entirely for file sharing, I would... but unless someone decides to sponser me, that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:33 am 

imo

any one who downloads more than thay upload is a leecher

you leech more than you can give = leecher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:37 am 

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!
DAMN MY EVIL WAYS!!!

lol

Post subject: Change upload speeds
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:57 pm 
How do i change the upload speeds?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next