the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:32 am 
Ok.. i'm downloading a file... basicly any file what file they all peak about the say... i'll start getting about 15-20k with say 10 peers and 1 seed.. then awhile later i'll have like 200 seeds (like now) 18 seeds (again like now) and still only getting about 20k.. i have my upload speed set for 10k due to having a slow upload on my cable internet (about 256kbit) but my download is between 3mbits and 5mbits but i havent seen it below 3mbit.. i can go download a file from somewhere like download.com and get 300k+ a sec but with bittorrent i cant get anything about like 20.. either with 5 peers and 1 seed or 200 peers and 18 seeds.. i'm not running a firewall other then the one on my router and i have it set to trigger the right ports for bit torrent.. like i said i cant figure out why it wont go anyfaster then 20k (btw i always let my u/d ratio get to a minume of 1:1 before closing the window.. like i said i'v tried this on many differnt files..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:12 am 
try increasing your upload limit to 20 or 25kB/s - as long as your modem stats doesn't show that it is at full upload you can increase that limit, just don't let it block to the max.

this might help cause in Bittorrent, the faster you upload, the better chance you have of getting a good download speed.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:14 pm 

Your router firewall is not setup properly. If your setup is similar to this:
Trigger: 6881-6889; Public: 6881-6889;
then it is not optimal, because BT does not trigger any of those ports in the first place in most cases. The initial trigger should be the announce port, this port may not the same for every torrent and it has very broad range. I have seen 80, 8080, 6969. It is up to the tracker admin to decide which port to use. So, the port you are listening might never get opened.

You should use port forwarding option (or is called virtual server for some brand of router) instead of trigger. Forward the whole range of ports that you find in BT preference to the internal IP of your computer, then you are all set.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]