the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:54 am 
lately when i used bit torrent(not tornado) i would find that my computer would crash about an hour into the d/l. i didnt put 2+2 together until it was too late. after it crashed(crashed as in it rebooted my computer during d/l) my comp 4-5 times...my computer started crashing on it's own!
then a few days ago i was watching a video file on it and it rebooted, it got to the login screen and rebooted again...then it made it to windows startup screen...then whack...rebooted again. The final time it got the first windows startup screen(i run Windows 2000) and it started booting up again and when it got to the first windows startup screen a really really distorted message appeared...letters in the wrong place, random text all over the screen...but i could make out some of it. i cant remember exactly but it said something like "system files missing, windows..." cant remember or makeout the rest.

now when i boot my comp up no screen appears...just a black screen with the blinking typing symbol. and it doesnt make the "beep" sound like it should...ya know after you turn your comp on it makes a beep a couple seconds after.

has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before? i think i'm going to have to take it to a PC repair shop, i really really really hope they dont have to wipe the hd...i have about 60 gigs of files that aren't backed up....plz tell me there's hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:39 pm 

Sounds more like registry errors. I've seen the "distorted" font screw-ups and things of the nature you mention above when a pc I worked on had System Mechanic's registry tool run on it, and the user had just let the reg tool in system machanic delete all the inconsistancies rather than him manually fixing them all. Tools can be dangerous if you're not sure how to use them. Not saying this is what you did but, just saying that registry errors is what it sounds like, these can be caused by improper shutdowns (crashes) too. Have you tried a safe-mode reboot?
Btw, I would avoid sending a pc full of warez to a repair shop, just watching your back, but it's not as though there's any expectation of confidentiality there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:33 pm 
i have run Registry Mechanic before, but it was at least a month ago. so i'm not sure if that could be the problem. i do have alot of warez on my computer...almost every program to be exact. a friend of mine built the comp and i think everthing he installed is warez. plus i have alot of movies, i was d/ling the Passion of the Christ when it started happening. should i call the place and ask first? lol i really dont have any other options.

Post subject: Virus?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:24 pm 
Sounds more like a recent virus to me... there was one going around recently that would write 64k chucks of data randomly on the disk... overwriting anything that it touched. The longer the machine ran, the more damage would be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:36 pm 
you have a link? i havent heard of any new virus. i'd like to find more information about it if possible.

Post subject: possible virus
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:30 pm 
Sorry, it took me a while to find the virus summary that I was thinking of... there are many viruses that are destructive, not so many recently since the virus writers want your box to stay online for future hacking/spaming...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... .worm.html

This one was discovered on March 20th, 2004...
The worm resides in memory only, and does not create files on an infected computer. The worm also has a payload that overwrites random sectors of a random hard disk. It attacks BlackICE & RealSecure products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:59 pm 
I had exactly the same problem after installing the update of Bit torrent v3.4. It infected my h/d with various welchia worm viruses and god knows what else. I continuously ran the fix via the symantec site to remove the worms but every time I tried to download music or films it hit my pc again. After crashing I reboot my pc and finally I couldnt even get it to run in safe mode. I tried reinstalling windows over the top to replace the damaged reg files but the virus had completely wrecked my pc. I had to get my whole h/d reformatted and windows reinstalled in the end and I lost everything.
I have installed a powerful anti-virus piece of software after reinstalling everything and went to install the bit torrent and as it was installing it picked up the welchia blaster worm. So looks like it was your bit torrrent thats done it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:10 am 

Bittornado/Bittorrent aren't infected with anything. The welchia and blaster worms infect using a DCOM RPC exploit in Windows XP. You could have easily gotten Welchia or Blaster by simply connecting Windows XP to the internet without doing anything or downloading anything and be infected if you don't have the DCOM RPC patch installed for Windows XP or aren't firewalled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 am 
I read that Bit Torrent reveals your IP address to anyone when you use it. So if you don't have a proper firewall, you'll screwed, since no matter how many bugs they fix in Windows XP, its only a week before they need you to update to stop another 6000 of them. Its pathetic really. Windows XP is just one huge never ending security risk.

I use Zonealarm so I believe I'm safe.

I just downloaded Bit Torrent for the first time after reading that Sierra decided to freely release Tribes one and two in their entirety, to boost fan base for when part three is released soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:09 am 
I have had the same problem with bt crashing every time i used it. No matter what i did
it seemed to work fine for the first 30 minutes , downloading at it's usaul
high speed, then the whole system slowed down and generally crashed.
No blue screen or anything , but i couldn't disconnect my connection,
open any programmes(said windows was shutting down), or even shut down
the pc without holding the power button for about ten seconds.
The scariest thing was that when i downloaded a port identifying tool
my computer was wide open to the net and connected to some very strange
ports on other peoples computers eg. ports, 0 and ports above 10000 and this was with zone alarm pro installed with very high security settings.
I did manage to get it working again though, i used the port tool to disconnect any strange port connections when i started bt untill i had about thirty connections then disabled bt's server rights and it was happy sailing from there on.
My personal opinion on this is that it could be one of two things, or could be both(or many more), that my ip has been collected from my downloading activities and now the companies have found a way to protect there stuff by dissrupting popular distribution networks (or maybe they only just got the green light to do so)
or,
it has to do with all those damn unwanted pings to port 6881 that show up in zonealarms logs eg. people trying there luck to find an open server to play with who now have the abillity to bypass my brand new only just purchased firewall (had one before btw).

By doing the test above with the port tool it dissmisses the idea of drivers and such being the cause of this wide spread problem . It did let me finish
my download but will be a major hassel if i have to go through that every
time.
Also can any one recomend a firewall that will run with and keep a check on zonealarm , i think i remember someone on here saying they felt safe with zonealarm, hmmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:19 am 

bit is safe but reveals wrote:
I read that Bit Torrent reveals your IP address to anyone when you use it. So if you don't have a proper firewall, you'll screwed, since no matter how many bugs they fix in Windows XP, its only a week before they need you to update to stop another 6000 of them. Its pathetic really. Windows XP is just one huge never ending security risk.

I use Zonealarm so I believe I'm safe.

I just downloaded Bit Torrent for the first time after reading that Sierra decided to freely release Tribes one and two in their entirety, to boost fan base for when part three is released soon.

You use ZoneAlarm and you're still stable downloading?
You must not be using 5.
Don't upgrade if you aren't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:02 am 
hehehehe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:03 am 
zone alarms crap, its the easiest firewall to get round, use a hardware firewall if u want to be protected and for more protection use a router and enable the firewall on that

But UNINSTALL ZONE ALARM. also u have to delete zone alarm from the registry as well as something else, can't remember wot its called but its somewhere in another thread. otherwise it will still crash ur downloads, and all zone alarms above version 5 still crash ur downloads so if u want zone alarm, get an earlier version like 4 or something

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:02 am 
I too have the BT crash problem. What is the resolution then? Get a proper firewall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:43 pm 
I'm curious what type of computers you all are running. I am on a P4 2.66Ghz, 512 RAM running WinXP Home Edition and I notice that BT slows my computer's response time, but it has never actually caused my computer to crash.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next