the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:23 am 
Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question.

Since that setting is under a tab called 'exemptions', would having the UPnP checkbox checked mean you have enabled or disabled the feature?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:08 pm 
I found something out, the speeds are not the direct cause or whatever. It's simply because Windows doesn't start connections from enough people, I had a download going from a seed and it was at 280 kb/s - so no problem with the speeds.

It was clearly that Windows XP SP2 somehow rejected opening all those connections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:43 am 
Anonymous wrote:
UPnP is a great security risk! i recommend to disable it, heres some information: http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

Tosh, UPnP is actually SAFER. If you are behind a router, and you need to open ports, you have to configure the router manually, and the ports are ALWAYS open, with UPnP, the ports are only open whilst the serving application needs them, the rest of the time they are closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:55 am 
first of all. imho enabeling upnp or raw sockets in windows is crazy with or without router. but as said imho. ;)
second, the tcpip.sys in winxpsp4 can be patched. i have patched it to 50 half open connections. you can go for un limited.

have fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:33 am 
It is safer to just manually forward the ports than to enable UPnP. Using UPnP might be easier, but with the simplicity comes an added risk. It is one more service that can potentially be exploited. Yes, MS patched it. But does that mean it can never be exploited again? Think about it.

Someone said that UPnP is safer. I beg to differ. With UPnP enabled, any port can be opened. If you manually forward the ports, only those ports can be used. I would rather have 1 door open that I know about, and can watch, than have someone beyond my control deciding on their own, which doors to open and when.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:49 am 
hi again.

i forgot to add one thing. using upnp slows down the windows os.
example: three days ago we finally tried the latest bittornado. after connecting for 4 torrents simultaneously i got about 400 halfopened connections on 4 incomming ports and 200 on few outgoing ports. using upnp at that time our winxp slowed down to such extent so we couldn't start even a wordprocessor. aftewards we've disabled upnp. under heavier load then previously winxp was running smooth. almost smooth like a baby cheek ;) the only problem was that our router couldn't stand the load and crashed very cruel. today morning we've patched the router software and it's ok till now.

thx

Post subject: solution
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:49 pm 
For those of you who tried the stuff above and it didn't work, this may help:
go to start|run and type services.msc. Fund the Universal plug and play service. now:
1. Start it if it is notalready running.
2.Double click it and check t is set to run automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:41 pm 
Probably a stupid question, but I went through the instructions in the first post, and I got as far as 'Settings'. There wasn't an exemptions tab. Is that stuff accessible some other way? Thanks a bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:06 pm 
I have tried all the solutions on this page and can't figure out what I can do to make it work. The only way I can get it to work is to disable upnp in bittornado pref but I never get a good d/l rate doing that ( 8k compared to my usual 100k+ ). I even went as far as uninstalling service pack 2 but I still get the same upnp error. Even with other torrent clients, the speed doesn't change from around the average 8k a sec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:21 pm 
well make sure windows firewall isn't on because i thought mine was off the entire time and it magically turned on so make sure its off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:05 pm 

I have said this again and again, UPNP Framework DOES NOT need to be checked in the Windows Firewall in ANY version of Windows to use UPNP with software on the computer. The UPNP Framework allows OTHER systems to open up ports in YOUR computer's Windows Firewall. I have it unchecked and my UPNP with Azureus works great. Some older routers have an improper implementation (? mine has minor problems w/ BitTornado but works with Azureus) is my best guess there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:42 am 
As an update, my new dlink router's upnp works great with bittornado but doesn't work with bitcomet and azureus. Seems like there are 2 types of implementation? However, windows does detect the upnp router and bitcomet can configure it through the windows interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:13 am 
Would be nice if people typed some sort of name in the username box, bit hard to keep all those 'guest' apart.
On moment a guest is knowledgable, next he/she is a uhm.. nub asking dumb questions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:14 am 
Didn't meant you guest ;P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:06 am 
How do you disable UPnP in the Bittornado Prefs? I went into it and couldn't find any indication of UPnP on Bittornado 3.8? Can anyone please help me out here?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next