the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:35 am 
Hi all, i have been encountering this message over and over again -

"piece xxx failed hash check, re-downloading it"

With that, Bittornado will process to re-download that problematic piece for what seems to be a endless cycle...There are a few seeds that have 100% copy of this file but it seems that i will never be able to finish downloading!

99.8% -> 99.9% -> 99.8% -> 99.9%...........Arghhh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:38 am 
Hmm...it seems that i may have found a thread that gives some light to my problem... :cry:

http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?p=9331#9331

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:46 pm 
I'm having the exact same problem.

I'll start a torrent, it'll download all but one piece of the torrent, and it'll just redownload that one piece again and again forever.
If I close bit tornado, and start it again, it'll fail a couple more times, but then it'll work.
That fact that restarting fixes it is what makes me think it's not bad ram as others have suggested.

It does this on every torrent.

help?

Thanks,
Gr|ffous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:52 am 
Hmm...interesting, i will try it out soon. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:14 pm 

If closing and reopening BitTornado fixes it, and you didn't re-download the .torrent file, then it could be bad RAM. · Just on a later run, you loaded it into a different part of your RAM, or your RAM behaved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:54 am 

:( I've got the same on a torrent I'm d/l'ing now.It failed hash 78 times in 1 and a half hrs.My client(Bit Tornado 0.3.7)Kicked and banned 3 IP's.Still getting the odd fail but not bad.Seems it could be the seeds/peers that are putting out corrupt files! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:11 am 

Shylock: if you get a lot of hash failures on different pieces but eventually get a good copy of each one, then it's the fault of the people sending to you. · But if you get repeated failures on the same piece it's a different problem with different answers. · One of the things I like about BitTornado is that it tells you the piece number for a hash failure, so that you know whether it's the same piece failing again and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:33 am 

:) You're right there,apart from a couple that I saw they were all different.I posted on the forum I got it from but the trouble is,who was it?I've now taken nearly a gig of crap!And it all goes against your share ratio!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:21 pm 

That's what the kick and ban functions are for: to block IP addresses from which you keep getting pieces that fail their hashes. · Unfortunately, I find that if you allow multiple simultaneous connections from the same IP address, a kicked or banned IP can reconnect to you and send you more garbage.

When BitTornado reports transfer totals to the tracker, it really shouldn't omit pieces that failed their hashes. · Most of them are not the recipient's fault, and the wrong party is getting penalized, while the uploader spewing junk is getting credit for uploads. · I suppose that the original idea for BitTorrent didn't foresee public trackers and enforced ratios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:58 pm 
How many times does it have to get a bad piece before it will ban the peer it's coming from?

I've had it do this on torrents where I was only connected to one peer/seed, and it happily downloaded that same piece for hours, hundreds of times. I checked to see that it is set to ban bad data sources. I'm using the latest version of BitTornado. It doesn't do it on all torrents, but it persists for days when it does happen. I can download others at the same time and they're fine, but never can complete the ones with bad pieces. Tried redownloading the torrent file. No help. Tried restarting--both the program and the computer--many times, with no effect. Tried three or four different clients, with no effect.
O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:23 pm 

Twice i Believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:29 pm 
WAveOfFire wrote:
Twice i Believe.

Hmm, then something's not working. I've yet to see anyone get banned, even when I'm getting the bad piece 10, 50, 100+ times.
O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:31 pm 

I think it's two bad hashes and you're kicked for thirty minutes; two more bad hashes after you're released form a kick, and you're banned.

But (1) if the box is checked to allow multiple connections from an IP address, kick/ban seems to have no effect (looks that way to me, as I've seen banned IPs come right back in and connect to me again), and (2) it doesn't kick or ban a seed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:50 pm 
I'm having this problem too. I'm using the same client I've been using for months and my ram definitely isn't bad.

It's always the same piece. It doesn't happen on every torrent. It might only be ones I've resumed. I've left it going for like 2 days and getting constant failed checks on the very last piece.

I don't understand, though, how this could have just started when I haven't changed anything and I'm downloading old .torrents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:10 pm 
Oh and also, I tried some other clients and found the same problem.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next