the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 am 
Zone Alarm keeps notifing me that the btdownloadgui.exe (shad0w client) is constantly trying to access port 80 which is reserved for the Web server and port 6873. I was not aware that bit torrent used these ports typically, from my understanding ports 6881-6999 were used. Should I be concerned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:06 am 

Ports 6881+ are normally used, but clients can be configured to use any port range. Some people use port 80 because it's the only port that hasn't been blocked.

Post subject: Hmmmmm.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:14 pm 
These alerts are outgoing and my Shad0w bit torrent client is configured for the default ports (in preferences) 6881-6999. Is there another way to configure these ports?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:21 pm 

These aren't ports your client has open; these are ports OTHER clients are running BitTorrent on, which your client has received data for via the tracker and which your client is trying to connect to. BitTorrent has a default port range, but people can -- and do -- choose other port ranges, for various reasons.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]