the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:39 am 
I recently tried the first iteration of Bittornado. The torrent files will download for a while then just stop. If i have multiple torrents running, it will not happen to all of them. Sometimes 1 or 2 will freeze up and other times all of the will, at different times. To get the torrent to resume all i need do is close and re-open the .torrent file but that gets annoying as i am not always at my PC.

I upgraded to 0.1.4 and the problem persists. I have now downgraded to the "Stable" version 5.8.11

If the problem persists on the 5.8.11 client i will re-post here, but so far i am having good luck with it. Also of note is that it does not matter how large or how small the file is. The upload download kbs and the peers connected freezes in place and does not move, that is how i am aware there is a problem. The torrent box is still functional as far as going into preferences and clicking about..... etc.

I will try to keep my eye out for more details and will post screenshots of my preferences etc. if you require them.

Your client is awesome and i do want to say that i have been a fan since i found degreez! I hope this helps to improve Bittornado.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: 5.8.11 freezes as well
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:42 am 
This is the version i used to use and also has the "Mid-Download" freeze problem. It never used to so im wondering if Bittornado left something behind from the uninstall. Just wanted to make a note.

/sigh :roll:

Post subject: same here
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:35 am 
I have EXACTLY the same problem. I have mentioned it on this site, but did not get a solid answer. I was told to set max peers to 60 or less but I already had it set to 20 so it couldnt of been that !

Still getting pissed off with torrents freezing up. Will prob move clients soon if the problem persists.

// Nudda

Post subject: Re: same here
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:27 am 
I also experience the same problem. The strange thing is that I have just reinstalled Windows 2000, so I have fresh installation, and added all patches and service packs available and problem occured (maybe because earlier I did not download torrents which consisted of so many files).
The only difference between other torrents and the 'faulty ones' is those 'faulty' contain much more files in them and are bigger. Sample of 'faulty' torrent: http://66.90.101.54/suprnova/torrents/1 ... et.torrent

I tried several BitTorrent clients, but unfortunately most of them are based on the same core, so all of them hanged after some time. What I found is BitSprint (http://www.lanspirit.com/bitspirit/) which works OK, however BitTornado seems to be faster.

Post subject: Re: same here
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:41 am 
nudda wrote:
I was told to set max peers to 60 or less but I already had it set to 20 so it couldnt of been that !
// Nudda

I have also tried that without success :-(
BTW: What's your network card brand/chipset? I have Realtek 8139C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:07 am 
Well guys i used to have the same problem where bittorrent would simply freeze/hang. And it would happen to me like all the time during a single download. And some d/ls it would. But when i upgraded my PC it went away. Im not suggesting an upgrade, but during my research in regards to this i have come across speculations that you network card may have something to do with it. But until this day i never knew what exactly was the problem. By the way during my upgrade, it inluded my network card. So do some research. Hope i could help in any way.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:14 am 
i have the samething happening to me.i have been using torrent for a while now and never had a problem but recently i upgraded my connection from 1.5/256 dsl with a dynamic ip to 6000/608 dsl with a static ip. i also figured out about port forwarding on my router so after i upgraded the connection i fowarded the ports for the bittorrent program. first thing i noticed is my speed increased alot going from about 20-30 kbs to 100-180 kbs but after sometime the torrent freezes up and stops downloading.the program window is fully functional but the speed never changes and it shows the bittorrent program using 98-99% of my resources under task manager.i have tried most of the versions of bittorrnado and even shadows experimental with the same results.

i thought at first it might of been something i did wrong but it looks as if others are having the same trouble i am having .

specs: cpu athlon 2500+,1 gig ram,winxp,dsl modem running bridge mode with dsl router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:51 pm 

I have been using Shad0ws client since version 5.7.3, and have never had the freezing problem. When Bittornado came out I upgraded and had my first problem. It only happened once it seemed, and was on a site I never used before. I figured that to be the cause, however unfotunately it started happening more frequently. It soon started freezing multiple times from any torrent. I then decided it was time to downgrade back to 5.8.11 since Bittornado was still expiremental. However, I was now suffering the problem on this version as well when it had never done it before. I ran an adware scan, virus scan, registry clean, defragged all my hard drives, rebooted and started again. Same thing. I then read the FAQ, set my Max Peers to 20, verified my nForce2 onboard NIC was at latest driver, changed my windows processes to optmize for backgrounds (as suggested her) and tried again. Same problem. I then optimized my NIC settings (Optmize for throughput, force 100 Full Duplex, disable power saving) and tried again. Same problem. It seems that since installing Bittornado all my torrents are freezing no matter what version of Shad0ws I use. I saw the thread about nvidia nforce IDE drivers, I uninstalled/re-installed 3.13 unified driver, and said no to installing nvidia IDE driver, still same problem. I don't know what else to try, so I switched to BitComent/Azerus however they arn't as good of clients and go much slower. I wish this issue could be identified so I could go back to using my favorite client without freezing. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Barton 3000+ (400 FSB)
MEM: 1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS PC3200 (400 FSB)
HDD: WD 80GB & WD 120GB (8mb Cache - 7200RPM)
MOBO: Abit NF7-S Rev. 2.0 nForce 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:43 pm 

Uhm. BitTornado doesn't install any drivers, nothing in the Windows folder, no files outside of its program folder, and it barely touches the registry. There's no way it could have "infected" 5.8.11 and caused it to have problems. I'm pretty sure something else has changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:59 pm 
if u look through the preferences/advanced u will see a option called
Max peer connections in u select that a bue text appears with the problem
and the solve too that:

some network card cannot handle a certain number of open ports.
if the client freezes try setting this too 60 and below.

there i hope i helped and too confirm 1 suspicion yes it's network related :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:33 pm 

TheSHAD0W wrote:
Uhm. BitTornado doesn't install any drivers, nothing in the Windows folder, no files outside of its program folder, and it barely touches the registry. There's no way it could have "infected" 5.8.11 and caused it to have problems. I'm pretty sure something else has changed.

I have been using the 3.13 driver for months, only thing in my configuration that has changed is other applications. I figured you hadn't changed anything though, and had you by running Regclean I should have removed it. I will play with some applications and see if I can find a fix.

As far as Guests comments, while I appreciate the advise had you read my post you would have seen I had already tried that. Not to mention, my network card is quite cable of handling such a load and has been for months.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]