the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: U/L D/L ratio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:54 pm 
It seems that everytime I use BT, I get raped on the ratio. Everywhere it says that the d/l rate is proportional to your upload rate.

I am on a T1 and am uploading on average of 140kB/s yet, my d/l average is 30-40kB/s. I always seem to be getting 3-1 to 4-1 upload to download ratio's everytime and it feels like I am getting shafted.

Anyone know why this is?

Post subject: Hosed
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:26 pm 
The simple answer is that the other people are either not sharing OR are not able to share as fast as you can.

There is also the factor of how many peers/seeds you are connected to...The More The Better.

You can try limiting your upload rate (It should not be set higher than 80 percent of your max. upload cap. anyway..unless you're seeding).

I have to say this though....I'd love to be in a torrent you're in! :)...I might be able to max out my download for once!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:43 pm 

There is no fixed ul/dl ratio, the ratio is displayed for your convenience. It sounds like your client is firewalled.

Post subject: What he's sayin...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:08 pm 
Is that he has sent out 3 to 4 times as much as he's gotten, when he's finished with a torrent.

Limiting your upload to just about or slightly under 80% of your max upload capability will help even things out a bit.

If your maximum cap. is 140k set your upload in BT to around 100k and split it between as many peers as you think works best. Sometimes hooking up with faster peers will happen if you limit yourself to 10 peers at 100k. That way you'll be sending out 10 streams of 10k....I don't know squat about how BT works but it seems like the client tries to keep connections equal or faster than yours (constantly searching for faster ones)...????

The above was based on speculation mixed with personal experience and is only a suggestion.

Although, I think you could just be a victim of not enough seeders and peers (I usually don't get good dload rates on torrents when there are less than 5 seeds and 20 peers).

I usually have the exact opposite problem as this guy with the share rating....I have to STRUGGLE to keep a 50% rating and frequently have to stick around a few extra hours seeding to make up for it. (I have a 3000kbps/256kbps connection, you can see how unbalanced that is!)

Post subject: share speed
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:30 pm 
yeah i get the same issues i cant share fast enough on my 2048/512.
Hence i have to wait for my share rating to go up.

Post subject: Re: share speed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:46 am 
Darkstorm wrote:
yeah i get the same issues i cant share fast enough on my 2048/512.
Hence i have to wait for my share rating to go up.

There is no share rating on bittorrent. You're thinking of the eDonkey/eMule network. Bittorrent is unbiased on allocating connections unless you are using 'super-seed'

Post subject: STFU!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:40 am 
clearly many people dont share as they should or are cheating...

I have a 3mbit/1mbit connection... no firewall, no router, no blocked ports by my isp. It also makes no differance how well seeded the torrent is or how fast other users are. Most times while observing a torrent there are a couple of bastards getting like 300 to 500K while the rest get 50 to 100 max..

There is a problem and it needs to be corrected!!!!!! FFS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:12 pm 

Seeing as how I'm one of those bastards who can get over 300K on a good torrent, I'd have to point out that that, in my case, is because my connection is such that if I seed at 10-20 KB/s, I can still get 200-300 KB/s downstream. So it's not necessarily leeching. If you like, though, use Azureus for bad downloaders and ban some people. >D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:44 am 
If you?re uploading at 20 while you leech at over 200 your ratio of download to upload is very unfair. Since this is ?supposed? to be a factor in how much you receive plainly there is a problem with the trackers ability to limit who is getting what based on upload speed and the connection they are on. Another serious issue is that there are just plain greedy people who disconnect from the torrent without helping to re-seed. People who do this make it bad for everyone else who enjoys BT and its communities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:22 am 

The fact is, the tracker has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with enforcing ratios. It's all performed by the individual peer connections. That's what makes BitTorrent so hardy.

http://www.bittornado.com/faq.html - please examine "BitTorrent is slow!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:40 am 

boy loving these speeds now with 42 peers 1 seed 130kb/sec down & 75/kb/sec up =) =) =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:28 am 
Bit torrent is great IF other people are sharing.
If very few people are sharing, the speeds suck.
BUT on the bright side, I have found MANY items I want to download using sites such as suprnova, and if I am stuck using BT to download them, I will... sure it can take upwards of a month or more to get a 10 GB file, but in the end I have the file I want.
I only find Bit Torrent fast on new items, or very popular items, otherwise it's no better than using Kazza or one of the many other p2p programs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:36 am 
I didnt know you were able to not-share. How do you do that??

And why is there such a function?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:50 am 
If the BT client you are using allows you to turn it down you can. None that I know of can turn it off, but I haven't used many different clients.

Post subject: Re: STFU!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:18 pm 

leeched_dry wrote:
clearly many people dont share as they should or are cheating...

I have a 3mbit/1mbit connection... no firewall, no router, no blocked ports by my isp. It also makes no differance how well seeded the torrent is or how fast other users are. Most times while observing a torrent there are a couple of bastards getting like 300 to 500K while the rest get 50 to 100 max..

There is a problem and it needs to be corrected!!!!!! FFS
don't get mad, it so happens that his connection is good and he is able to connect to that uploader directly. most people are firewalled or don't know how to open ports, that's why their download sucks. I sometime are able to pull 300-400k/s just off one person! while the rest are just sitting ducks, lmao!
You see, the bandwidth is sometime there, but the leecher just aren't accepting it or their connection just plain sucks.. 8)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]